Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is anyone on antidepressant medication? After visiting my family doctor last week for a blood pressure check up and crying during the visit, he thought I would feel much better if I took Zoloft.* Is there a natural product on the market that would help one feel better and sleep better without getting addicted?

There lots of herbs and natural remedies out there, but a doctor will not usually go that way , and if you get to experimenting then you are on your own.

My wife takes Zoloft and it takes time to build in your system, and even longer to get off of.

I am taking amiltryptiline in small doses to keep my EL in check. The good thing is it works and if I miss it I dont have any problems other than crying at the cheeseburger commercials.

When deciding what to take , please do it with your Doctors supervision.

Glen

I have started two things for my mental state....1) hit the treadmill 3 x week, plus yoga in between 2) I take SAM-e this is a natural dietary supplement that improves mental health but also supports healthy joints. I purchase this at Costco and only started taking it about 2 weeks ago. So far so good.

I take Prozac and have for about 10 years. Zoloft is from the same family chemically. I have also tried amitriptaline and is was the most helpful med ever for me as it also help with pain control. However, it can cause baldder problems. I wish I didn't need any of this medication, but like Glen I would be crying at cheeseburger commercials and never sleeping if i didn't. This way I can work without crying at work LOL!

Hey, sand!

Is the only reason that your doctor wanted to prescribe Zoloft because of your emotional lability? Or do you have other symtoms of depression?
I have heard of a mixture that your doctor can tell your pharmacist to mix for you...it's a mixture of dextromethorphan(found in cough CONTROL medicine...) AND Quininine(NOT Quinine...Quininine is a heart medicine)...ask your doctor or pharmacist about this...

i was on amitryptiline for some years but i have low blood pressure problems and found they were making it worse(probably mixing it with my other meds)
to my gp and neuro's dismay i gradually weaned myself of them,though the first week on none at all i had severe sweating of the hands and feet(i mean dripping wet)

amitryptiline is used for many long term chronic pain illnesses as it helps to depress the pain receptors in the cns.

honestly,think seriously before starting any treatment like this.
is it really going to make a difference?
are there any long term health complications?
is there a more natural alternative?
is the new med compatible with what your already taking?............this is the most important question.

since coming off amitryptiline i dont get lightheaded as much and have had only 1 syncope in the past 2yrs.

I have been on anti-depressants since the early 90's. I have clinical depression. Once I start a new anti-depressant and its one that works well for me, then I can take it for about 2 years and then I have to switch to a new one because my body gets used to the old one and it stops working well. I have been on, Zoloft, Prozac, Cymbaulta, Pristiq, Effexor and Paxil. After my husband suddenly died, I had a hard time snapping out of my severe depression so my doctor added Zyprexa in addition to taking Effexor and wow that really helped me out of that dark depression hole. I no longer need the Zyprexa, and am doing much better now. If you have fibromyalgia, or chronic pain problems, (for which I have both) an antidepressant is a good idea, because it is hard not to be depressed when you are hurting all the time. It takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to see if the medication you are trying works. If it doesnt, try another one. Also, if you are less depressed, you will hurt less as well. Oh yes, I tried amitryptiline as well....it put me on my lips, I couldnt take it. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask!
Hugs, Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back