kittyprius

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Good afternoon everyone,

After at least a year (potentially more) I have come to the realization that something more is wrong with me than just being utterly exhausted all of the time. I feel I may have fibromyalgia, or rheumatoid arthritis, or a combination of the two.

I would like to approach my doctor without him thinking that I am being silly. My doctor has been my primary care physician since I was 12... I am now 25 and he has seen me through depression, anxiety, home life struggles, invasive spinal surgery, anorexia, and a pregnancy scare. I trust him completely, but our trusting doctor-patient relationship allows for some joking around and I want him to take me 100% seriously about this concern.

How do I approach him and express my concerns about fibromyalgia and/or RA? What did you do? Should I just make a list of all of my everyday symptoms, as well as everything that has flared up on and off for longer than I can remember?

The joints in my fingers hurt so much today that typing and writing at work is proving terribly difficult. They are swollen, and freezing to the touch.

I am exhausted every. single. day. This is putting a huge strain on my personal life and my relationship with my fiance. I have to do something about this... I sleep 8-10 hours a night, and still need a nap mid-day (in my car, during my lunch break) and sometimes immediately after work.

I have intestinal issues/bloating/cramping. I have depression and anxiety. My memory is terrible to the point of embarrassment on a weekly basis. If I'm not emotionally numb, I'm emotionally hyper-sensitive all while on Prozac. My body aches all the time, and I have specific pain in my back which is debilitating. I just attribute it to the issues I've had with my back before, but lately the treatments have not helped at all.

It's beginning to get to the point where I turn to alcohol or my muscle relaxants (prescribed for my back issues) to numb everything. I miss having a social life regularly, instead of every couple of weeks when I'm having a "good" day.

Help. How do I approach my doctor? Am I being silly?

kittyprius, First off welcome to the forum. I think you are very lucky indeed to have a good doctor that listens to you and has a great sense of humor. This means he listens when you talk. So tell him the worse symptoms and a few minor ones and ask him to refer you to a Rheumatologist. The reason for that is this type of doctor is the only one who can properly diagnosis arthritus concerns, as well as, fibromyalgia. And never ever think your being silly because your feeling ill and don't know what is wrong.

I think sometimes we get stressed out by what others say and begin to doubt whether it is all in our imaginations. Then when the pain kicks in it becomes harder and harder, to follow that line of thought. Like you are now. Searching for the answers to your health problems. So welcome to the club, where we are all in your shoes and have walked in them for a while.

Please come back often and join in on the various forum topic's. We all care and are here to offer support and cyber-hugs if you need them. :)

Good afternoon everyone,

After at least a year (potentially more) I have come to the realization that something more is wrong with me than just being utterly exhausted all of the time. I feel I may have fibromyalgia, or rheumatoid arthritis, or a combination of the two.

I would like to approach my doctor without him thinking that I am being silly. My doctor has been my primary care physician since I was 12... I am now 25 and he has seen me through depression, anxiety, home life struggles, invasive spinal surgery, anorexia, and a pregnancy scare. I trust him completely, but our trusting doctor-patient relationship allows for some joking around and I want him to take me 100% seriously about this concern.

How do I approach him and express my concerns about fibromyalgia and/or RA? What did you do? Should I just make a list of all of my everyday symptoms, as well as everything that has flared up on and off for longer than I can remember?

The joints in my fingers hurt so much today that typing and writing at work is proving terribly difficult. They are swollen, and freezing to the touch.

I am exhausted every. single. day. This is putting a huge strain on my personal life and my relationship with my fiance. I have to do something about this... I sleep 8-10 hours a night, and still need a nap mid-day (in my car, during my lunch break) and sometimes immediately after work.

I have intestinal issues/bloating/cramping. I have depression and anxiety. My memory is terrible to the point of embarrassment on a weekly basis. If I'm not emotionally numb, I'm emotionally hyper-sensitive all while on Prozac. My body aches all the time, and I have specific pain in my back which is debilitating. I just attribute it to the issues I've had with my back before, but lately the treatments have not helped at all.

It's beginning to get to the point where I turn to alcohol or my muscle relaxants (prescribed for my back issues) to numb everything. I miss having a social life regularly, instead of every couple of weeks when I'm having a "good" day.

Help. How do I approach my doctor? Am I being silly?

Hello there,
well ,I am doctor in trainee and I am no different from you. Doctors are your friends. Just explain yourself out in the same way you have explained yourself on this blog. Maybe you want to jot down the symptoms you are experiencing on a piece of paper or write down your concerns so that you don't forget to ask him or her. This is completely normal. I myself encountered patients jotting down all the points they need to ask us during their visit to the hospital because getting an appointment with a doctor in a clinic is no joke. So, express yourself out because in this way it will be much more easier for us to communicate with our patient. We like it when patients are upfront, then we get a clear synopsis of what's wrong and what will be the next best step in the management.
Be yourself my friend :smile:

I know everyone is different, but personally I'd approach this by just coming out and saying something like "I'd like to be tested for Fibro and RA, Doc." That puts it right on the table and I wouldn't have to go through all the worrying about whether something I say would cause the doc to think it's not as severe as it is. Some people choose to almost be apologetic that they're having pain and that gives doctors the thought that if the patient isn't sure, maybe it's less severe than it is.

Of course once I'd state that I want to be tested, there would still be questions, but then I'd just say that I've been totally exhausted and have had pain for more than a year and I'm ready to get to the bottom of it. They really have to take your concerns seriously because of liability issues if there *is* a problem in the future that they ignored when you brought it up.

Just tell your doctor what you really think. If he suspects that you have fibro and RA, he will recommend the types of tests that can be done. If you are in doubt or have worries, do not keep it from your doctor. Tell him what you suspect, and let him diagnose you (after all, he's the doctor). If he feels that there's nothing to worry about, then it will be a relief for you.

It is best to be honest with your doctor and tell him all about your symptoms. If you think that you won't be able to describe all your symptoms to him then make a list and carry it with you when you visit your doctor. You cannot hide things from your doctor because your treatment would depend on how how well you have explained your symptoms to him.

I agree. You should make a list and tell him your various symptoms, the ones that are continuous and the ones that flare. Be direct, and state that you are concerned that these problems are something more serious, because they are ongoing. At the very least, he should do some tests (RF, anti-CCP, CBC, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back