Telltale Signs and Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that fibro is a diagnosis of elimination. That's the way it worked for me anyway. I have fibro, cfs, hypothyroidism, and essential tremors. I've been tested for ra, ms, and parkinson's. another symptom I would add on is hot flashes.

I also have hypothyriodism, fibro, lots of pain, daily headaches but agree with the earlier post, I find the fatigue harder to cope with

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year ago and I am taking medication for it and a lot of my symptoms were being tired all of the time,pain in my lower back, in my legs and upper body too sometimes. I wake up everyday with some type of pain. I was also told I have carpal tunnel as well. I have been taking the medication like I was directed to by my doctor but I still have some kind of pain what seems like constant. I have told my doctor about this but she says it is my arthritis. Then I was reading about Fibromyalgia and found a lot of the symptoms I am having are similar to the symptoms of fibromyalgia or at least seem to be. My doctor doesn't really listen to what I am saying most of the time or at least I feel she isn't because she just blows it off as part of the thyroid condition and diabeties, so I have just left it at that till now that I read about this. is there any kind of test that can be given to see if I might have this problem or how do you know other then the obvious symptoms.
There are touch points all over the body. I believe it is about 18 of them. Doctors use these points to determine if you have Fibromyalgia. These points are above and below the waist and they are also found on the front and back of the body. Go to webmd.com you can watch a video and if you feel that you have any of the touch points and symptoms ask your Primary Physician to set you up an appointment with a Rheumatologist. I hope this is some help to you.

Signs to look out for
Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
Tension or migraine headaches
Jaw and facial tenderness
Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
Feeling anxious or depressed
Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet
Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness
Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks ("fibro fog")
Wow Chris you described it all!

Testing my thyroid for hypothyroidism hasn't even occured to any of the many Drs I have seen recently for chronic pain and some of the other sympoms that go along with fibro. Maybe they don't suspect my thyroid being the problem. I will definitely bring it to one of my Drs attention.

I just called my Dr and he is ordering 2 tests to check my thyroid. Does anyone know exactly what these tests are?
I'm glad I saw this forum and learned that possibly it could be my thyroid. Sometimes you have to tell the Dr what to do!
Do hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia always go hand in hand? Can a person only have hypothyroidism without having fibro? Thanks for any feedback.

My thyroid test came back normal. What other tests can be performed to rule out fibro?

Since the above mentions most of the symptoms I will just add the electric shock feelings in back and arms, and head. I would get severe pain in my head and get these electric-like shocks that felt like blood vessels were bursting in my brain. Try explaining that one to your doctor without his eyes rolling and shaking his head thinking that this woman is crazy. One thing that makes Fibro so bad in diagnosising it is that it has symptoms like lots of other medical conditions, so do not pracitice self-diagnosis. Usually lots of testing is needed to rule out other conditions like MS. Just having diabeties alone can produce some of the same types of symptoms and if you start telling some doctors what you think you might have they will stop listening to you. I found my family doctor to be the most patient man on the face of this planet in helping me deal with other doctors. I think he was more understanding because his wife had the same things going on and other doctors were rude to the both of them too.
So glad to hear someone else gets the electrical shocking! It is the the second to the swallowing problems for concern, and physicians don't know what to make of it since no tests point to MS or such disease. I am so hoping this is all fibro, strange as that sounds!

Cheran,
Those zapping feelings can drive a person mad, just because they really hurt. I have swallowing problems as well, which doctor's often dismiss by saying I am not chewing my food properly. If it happened all the time I would agree that was the problem, but it only happens once in a while and it is like my throat muscles have forgotten how to swallow. Sometimes it is bread or rice, othertimes it can be liquid. I have had liquid run up my throat instead of going down like it is suppose too. Makes no sense at all. So don't feel bad if you experience weird feelings or strange shocks it is just fibro messing with you. lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back