MercyL

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
01/1986
Country
US
State
CO
My question about laughter was narrow and excluded other outlets for the frustration we all feel when, despite all of our efforts and medications, we still have days laced with cruel, writhing pain or insurmountable fatigue.

I find that , once humor has provided all that it can, I seek incredibly morbid "entertainment". I gravitate toward slasher movies, dark humor, or websites featuring harsh, bloody images.

All of the things loving parents guard their children against.

I can look for a few minutes, but the intense imagery seems to shock my mind. After that, I feel incredibly creative.

I think I am a strange woman, but I might be wrong.

What do you seek once humor and laughter has run its course and you need different stimulus? Do you gravitate towards shocking images?

If so, have you figured out why?

BTW, you needn't be female to answer the question!

No, I don't gravitiate toward shocking images, but I do enjoy very humorous movies that make me laugh. I go for the funny stuff that I otherwise avoid. If I am watching movies on youtube I sometimes watch the animal filled ones, like ones about horses or dogs, or baby giggle ones that make me smile.
The horror films usually make me sick or hurt my eyes just watching them. But to each his own, whatever works for you. :)

The horror movie/violent imagery thing makes some sense. It's a type of catharsis, anyway, and I imagine it can help relieve some of the feelings of frustration that often come with illness. I know I've always enjoyed horror movies, and I think part of the reason for that is my lifelong anxiety. When life already kind of feels like a scary movie, watching a horror movie is oddly comforting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back