auroke22

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
Hello everyone!

I have a month until I can get into a doctor, since i just moved. Until then, I will just lurk on here.

A little about myself and my history with Fibromyalgia:
My grandmother and mother both had/have fibromyalgia. My grandmother was never diagnosed until a few months before her passing, and my mother has been diagnosed since ca.1998. In ca. 2002, I was in a car accident in the rain with my brother before Judo. I have been doing it for a few months, and since my parents were there for the wreck, after that was solved they came in to watch. The pain in my chest was unbearable and I felt horrible. They took me to the ER, and they sent me home. My pediatrician looked at my mother's medical record and did a few tiny tests and she said I had Fibromyalgia. Unfortunately, this was never written in my records which is one of many reasons why I need to see a doctor.

Fast forward to now. I'm 19 years old male, and I am a freshman at the University of Akron. I am a flute performance major. Since coming here and rigorously practicing everyday(including the added stress of marching band), I have started to notice a few things. I grew up in Florida and the weather is changing. I feel very tight specifically in my shoulders and right underneath my shoulder blade. It gets worse when I play for an extended period of time. My arms get tired easily, and I find that even my face tires within an hour. Given that i've been playing for 9 years, that shouldn't happen anymore. My body feels extremely sensitive to touch when the weather changes(temperatures, when it rains, etc.) and it takes a lot of effort to do a lot of simple things like walking across campus or participate in marching band. I have trouble sleeping, I am so tired by the end of the day but I can't stay asleep. I wake up about 2-3 times a night and I feel so groggy and tired all day, every day. I also forget a lot of things. I forget what I was just doing, even though I can tell it was important. I have trouble with dates and numbers more than abstract things, like I forgot about a planned rehearsal with a chamber ensemble i'm in(flute, guitar, and viola trio). I slur my words occasionally and I forget the word i'm looking for a lot as well. Last thing, is I get random jolts of pain. Like my arm would randomly hurt for a little bit, and it would go away after a few seconds. I have been diagnosed as OCD with General Anxiety Disorder as well and I am currently on a low dose of prozac for it.

I have had many discussions with my mother and she agrees(and has for quite some time) that my pediatrician was correct in saying I have Fibromyalgia.

What is your opinion?

A number of the items do sound familiar. The brain fog associated with fibromyalgia could explain the issue with dates and numbers. The exhaustion but inability to sleep would fit with this too or chronic fatigue syndrome. As well, I tend to have issues dependent on the weather too. Finally, of course the pain is a definite indicator.

I find that new situations result in added stress to my life and I need find ways to combat this. What are you doing? Do you have any stress relievers that work to relax you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back