MissyBea

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
GA
Hi All,

My mother has fibro. I have been lurking around reading the suggestions that some have found to help with managing pain. I have also done research online. I have found so much helpful information! The problem is, when I tried to present it to my mother she was uninterested. It makes me so sad, because I get really excited when I find information that I think will help her. Than I present it to her and she listens but is very nonchalant about it. I, even, think that if she joined this forum it would be great for her to meet other people going through similar situations. I suggested this and she said she doesn't like the idea of being on a 'forum'. She is afraid that the people she meets online will somehow harm her.

So, I have researched herbs that I think may be helpful for her as well as suggested alternative therapies. She is not receptive. I don't want her to think that pain meds are the only way that she will find relief.

Does anyone have any suggestions, so I can possibly present things differently to her? I want to help.
Thank You,
Missy Bea

Hi Bea! I totally get what you mean! I also don't think pain meds are the only way to deal with fibro or other diseases. I actually try to take pain meds only when is truly necessary, but I don't like the idea of depending on them on a daily basis. That's not for me! I take meds for other health issues and is already too much for my body. I completely believe alternative medicine helps and don't blame you for wanting your mom to see that!

I'm afraid you can't do much to change your mom's view. She will have to change that on her own, the trick is to make her want to do that. You can try to research more, maybe some success stories would help a bit?

Have you thought about showing your Mom this forum? Maybe if she read the info on her own, she might be more receptive. Some people just don't like being told what to do.

Also, depending on how long she's been diagnosed, she may feel like she's tried it all. Or she's heard about all the latest fads. It can be a really difficult journey having an illness that has no clear cut remedy.

You could sign in and show her what it is all about, but also the forum can be read without signing in. that way no one would know she was reading the posts and she would not feel so threatened by the people on the forum. Everyday there are a lot of people who visit this forum as a guest. This only limits her in the fact she can not post any replies without becoming a member. It would be a start and a step in the right direction letting her read about fibro coping skills. Try it and see if she is interested. Good Luck! :)

THANKS..

I think she will really enjoy this site! There is a lot of helpful information. The people here are very kind and understanding. I will definitely show her the site, most likely, letting her know she doesn't have to be a member to just browse the topics.

I appreciate the feedback,
Missy Bea

Hi All,

My mother has fibro. I have been lurking around reading the suggestions that some have found to help with managing pain. I have also done research online. I have found so much helpful information! The problem is, when I tried to present it to my mother she was uninterested. It makes me so sad, because I get really excited when I find information that I think will help her. Than I present it to her and she listens but is very nonchalant about it. I, even, think that if she joined this forum it would be great for her to meet other people going through similar situations. I suggested this and she said she doesn't like the idea of being on a 'forum'. She is afraid that the people she meets online will somehow harm her.

So, I have researched herbs that I think may be helpful for her as well as suggested alternative therapies. She is not receptive. I don't want her to think that pain meds are the only way that she will find relief.

Does anyone have any suggestions, so I can possibly present things differently to her? I want to help.
Thank You,
Missy Bea

I understand your wanting to help your mother.

As much as you would like to help, remember that this is her condition. She may not have control over much of her life, right now, as her issues multiply with her fibromyalgia, so remember that you have offered her some options, and that is all anyone can do.

She will seek out new information when she is ready. In the meantime, please try to enjoy her as she is and not as you would hope her to be. It will mean a lot to her.

I think she will really enjoy this site! There is a lot of helpful information. The people here are very kind and understanding. I will definitely show her the site, most likely, letting her know she doesn't have to be a member to just browse the topics.

I'm glad that you'll try to show her the forum... if she digs deep into the threads, even relatively old ones, there is so much great information here that may help.

I *do* understand being wary of anything that comes from "the Internet" because I think we've all been burned and probably more than once... and when it comes to an illness there's always a fear of getting excited about something and then it not working. But especially things that cost nothing to try... well I think those little glimmers of hope are so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back