Since feeling the burning spots for the first time I also have anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendaP

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
Oregon
I have had anxiety for years, I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday. I went in when I was experiencing the tender burning spots all over my body. Since these started, I noticed I also have a constant feeling of anxiety throughout my body. It's a bit like butterfly's in the stomach, but it's all over and feels strongest in my chest. Is this my body reacting to the pain? I'm not on any medication yet so I'm hurting pretty bad. The doctor said my pulse was higher then normal for me when I went in. Could this feeling of anxiety increase my pulse? Also, I had a very bad experience yesterday, my sciatic nerve was pinching or something, I haven't experienced that since I was pregnant. It lasted all day and all night. Could Fibromyalgia be linked to sciatic nerve pain? Any correlation between the two? One last thing, what do you recommend for pain that doesn't turn you into a total zombie? I have a 6 month old baby that I need to be able to care for. My body does well with Vicodin and Percocet but those don't seem to be prescribed to patients often. I want something that works!

I'm sure your body (and your anxiety issues) are reacting to how you've been feeling lately. Naturally, health issues cause worry (dread and angst too) which would only be intensified if you suffer from anxiety. According to, Fibromyalgia symptoms, Fibromyalgia can cause panic attacks as well as free floating anxiety (anxiety that isn't associated with a situation or object). How long were you in pain before the Fibromyalgia diagnosis? As for sciatic pain, I don't know because I've never had issue with that nerve. I have back issues but, nothing that causes numbness in my legs, etc. I did a quick Google search and there seems to be a general consensus that sciatic pain is different than something Fibromyalgia causes. However, you pain could be due to compensations you're making due to the Fibromyalgia pain.

As far as pain medications go, I think most doctors prefer to prescribe anti-depressant medications for Fibromyalgia. However, I do know plenty of folks take Tramadol for the pain (it makes me feel sick to my stomach). Are you breast feeding? That would be my biggest concern when choosing a medication. You'll have to discuss that with your doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a lot of pain for the last couple years now, but the burning spots just started 3 days before I was diagnosed. I thought the sciatic nerve pain seemed odd. I have taken Tramadol, after having baby. It worked okay but it did make me sleepier then the real narcotics. I have taken anti depressants in the past and they seem to have no effect on me whatsoever. I'm not breastfeeding anymore so that isn't much of an issue. It seems like you have to be in such a tremendous amount of pain that you're practically screaming to get real narcotics anymore. I have been on anti depressants, anti anxiety meds, narcotic and non narcotic pain relievers, and in all reality the only thing that worked that I could function on was the real narcotics. It might take some work to get what I need, and what I know already works for me. I don't want to bring it up though because I don't want the doctor to think I'm one of those just trying to get drugs, there's a lot of that going on.

I too have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and panic attack disorder. I think the chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia started first and then came the horrible panic attacks. I have read many books on panic attack disorder and the last book I read said that panic attack disorder is caused from being either physically exhausted, mentally exhausted, or emotionally exhausted, or all three. I have come to the conclusion that when you have constant pain and sleepless nights from pain all over your body you become exhausted physically. You can also become exhausted mentally and emotionally especially from the lack of support and worry that you will not be able to get up for work, take care of your family and live a normal life.

I am so happy that my symptoms from Fibro, Chronic Fatigue and Panic attack disorder has subsided about 90% I am not sure why this is but I have a few theories. I am much happier since I got remarried, I am eating a much healthier diet, more home cooking, more fruits and veggies. I am laughing more and I think my outlook on life is much more positive. I am not saying that these things will make your Fibro and fatigue go away, but they may be factors in why I seem to be in remission. Has anyone else noticed this, or is anyone else in remission so to speak?

The mind is really powerful, Brenda. I'm almost certain your anxiety is linked to your diagnosis, I know because similar things happen to me when I receive bad news or I just feel plan distressed. You should consider taking something for your anxiety, because I doubt you can manage to cope with it now, specially with such a young baby. You'd really benefit from taking something for your anxiety.

As for your other questions... you'd be better off asking your doctor! We are not doctors, but in my experience fibro can cause all sorts of weird symptoms. Having fibro is a true nightmare if you were hypochondriac prior to the diagnosis, because every time a new symptom appears you will be wondering if it's caused by fibro or something else.

Everything feeds off everything else. The fibro triggers the anxiety, the anxiety intensifies the fibro ... The sciatic pain can irritate the fibro and the anxiety. If you walk a certain way to try and ease the sciatic pain, you stress other parts. The sciatic pain probably has nothing to do with the fibro but everyone is different. You will probably benefit from anxiolytics, discuss it with your doctor.

When I baby my hip, my back screams. When I baby the back, the hip starts to scream. The whole thing irritates me, I end up tense and grouchy. That leads to all-over body aches. Even though I know what is going to happen, it happens no matter how I try to stop the cycle.

Fibromyalgia can be occurred due to physical and psychological causes, and it was clear that there is a link between fibromyalgia and anxiety. Anxiety is prominent in the people who are suffering with fibromyalgia and many anxiety symptoms look like fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia can also cause some other symptoms like sleep problems, tingling hands, numbness, and loos of memory or difficult in the memory. Seeking a professional help if you are suffering with this problem is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back