Not open for further replies.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ND
Doctors always say put ice on sore muscles to reduce the swelling, and heat to reduce the pain. Often times, I can't decide which one my muscles actually need because they're swollen and in pain! I tend to automatically go to taking hot baths to help with my general achiness and fibro flares. But am I missing out? Is ice more effective? Or does the ice trick really only help with sore muscles after working out? I'm afraid to try because I hate to be cold. :p

For me, I find that ice is best immediately after something has happened that gets swollen or painful. After that, then I will switch to heat.

I think it really depends on each individual body...
Personally, ice makes my pain 10x worse..... They've already diagnosed me with fibromyalgia, but they also think I have something called CRPS type 1 which is another pain disorder... It's been proven that ice makes a patient with crps pain worse.. So if I go to a Dr or therapy and they want to ice me I will tell them no every time because it just makes me worse. Heat helps me a lot. But again, that's just how my body is...

Doctors always say put ice on sore muscles to reduce the swelling, and heat to reduce the pain.

That's a pretty good indicator and basically what I've always heard, too... ice on things like sprains and heat on aches.

I have a feeling that it depends on the person, though... I'd say see which feels better and then check with the doc to be sure that the one you chose isn't harming in any way.

A deep hot soak is what works best for me. For short term pain like a sudden injury i would suggest ice to prevent damage. For the later aching and chronic pains itself though I would always go for heat. Either in the form of a bath or a hot water bottle.

You have convinced me not to use ice unless I'm injured. I'll stick to heat, which does help a lot. :)

You might want to soak in the bathtub with warm water and a cup full of epson salts in the water. It really helps with sore muscles and swelling, and is often used by sports doctors. I have found it very refreshing to do so just before going to bed. :)

For me the heat has done the trick in the past. I think using cold to treat my pain would actually make things worse. Whenever I am having a really bad flare I love taking a hot bath, that actually seems to help a lot in the past, a heating pad also helped with my awful back pains when I was in my late teens.

I can only use heat. I keep meaning to get the heating pad and trying it out on my back, before I swear off bras all together, but I keep forgetting.

I have Reynauds and I cannot tolerate ice treatments. Even in a situation with acute swelling, ice is not an option.

Personally I think, for those that can handle it, ice is for instances when you sprain your ankle, etc. and not for chronic pain like we have.

You might want to soak in the bathtub with warm water and a cup full of epson salts in the water. It really helps with sore muscles and swelling, and is often used by sports doctors. I have found it very refreshing to do so just before going to bed. :)
Thanks - I'm already a huge fan of Epsom salt! Did you know Big Lots sells cartons of it for $1 each (usually $8 for the same brand elsewhere!)

I think I understand the purpose of icing better now. I'll definitely stick to heat! I wonder, though, how much of a negative reaction ice would give me since many of you say you can't tolerate it at all? I might try it just to know how sensitive I am.

I am more of a heat person because it eases my pain so well. When I have back pains I take a hot bath and it helps the pain right away. Ice is okay when I have swelling but I rarely use it.

I've always heard ice is supposed to be better too, but it's definitely the heat that helps me.

I think low-heat is the best. My friend doesn't react well to ice.

Ice or heat better for pain? I think this varies from one person to another. Personally if I have injured myself I would apply an ice pack to reduce the swelling. Although I will always use a heat pad to relieve my pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back