Status
Not open for further replies.
Prednisone is a really great drug to relieve pain but patients who are using it should always take into consideration the possible side effects of this drugs. Predinisone being a corticosteroid which has a side effect on decreasing immune system should be taken with prescription. While taking this drug, it would also be good to boost your immune system by taking vitamins so as to avoid complications.

I had an appointment yesterday with my rheumatologist. He asked me if the prednisone had helped and told him it did but was too scared to take it and only took it for a week. Turns out he didn't mean for me to take it on a long term basis. He was using it as a trial drug for me as he now believes I have psoriatic arthritis in addition to fibromyalgia. He plans on putting on something else but for now wants me to take a very low dose of prednisone. As I am going to be traveling abroad in the very near future he would like to wait until I return from my trip before starting anything new.
Not too happy that he now thinks I have psoriatic arthritis also but after reading up on it I do believe I do have it and that could account for the horrible pain I am in each and every day. I will be careful with the prednisone and as I really like my rheumy am going to follow his instruction for now.

I am with you on that. If it has a lot of side effects I try to stay clear of it. It is good that you experience relief Indianagal.

I have spoke with others who have had good results with prednsone as well. I can not take it do to how it reacts with other medications that I am taking. It is an anti inflammatory agent and, I bet it really does reduce pain from Fibro.

New to this group - I just finished a round of prednisone myself but it was for a flare up in my lower back/disc inflamation. I HATE HATE HATE prednisone. But there are times, once every year or two, when adding it to my regimen will reduce a flare of my arthritis, or other issues by weeks at a time. I have to make that choice each time based on how much pain I can bear vs. how much my life can tolerate the mood swings, hot flashes, and other horrible side effects that come with it. Of course, after I recovered this time I swore I would never use it again. That's how I feel right now, that I will never, ever take prednisone again. However, a year from now in the midst of weeks of pain? I imagine I will probably accept it again. It's a shame that there isn't something better available.

That is great! I too have heard mixed reviews about Prednisone, but I am wary of taking it myself. It can have horrible side effects, but for some people works great! Glad you're one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back