Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
IRL
State
X
Hi, I have terrible pain from my shoulder down to my shoulder blades, while walking around. It's like a great weight on my shoulders. It also doesn't help that I have anxiety. Does anybody else experience this? And how do you cope? Thanks!

Yes I get this, I also get severe pain in my collarbone area. It comes and then goes. Nothing helps the collarbone pain for me anyway. Heating pads help sometimes on the shoulder blades. You take one day and one pain at a time.

Hi there! I sometimes get pain down the shoulder blades, it's really bad :( Fortunately it doesn't happen often. I think mine is caused due a vascular defect they think they saw in a MRI of the dorsal spine. Go figure... I don't get the pain in that area all the time though. Sometimes I wake up with it, then the next day is gone, sometimes is not.

Shoulder pains or pains in another parts of the body is a part of this disease, we need to realize what provides us most relief...

I have that shoulder and shoulder blade pain constantly. Have it all the time in the left shoulder. A heat rub and a tens machine is what I use. It doesn't take the pain away but does ease it a little

I have had a shoulder injury in the past that never healed. Nothing heals when you have a connective tissue disorder. However, one thing I've found exacerbates the shoulder pain is how I sleep. I have to be very aware of my sleeping position, otherwise I will end up with all sorts of extra pain the next day.

If I'm off the anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers, I also sometimes will wear my thumb splints at night, because they'll compress my hands and wrists, decreasing the chance that I'll clench my hands/fists in my sleep. I've found that having a soft to medium pillow or two will provide a little support for my head, while I position it so my shoulder can rest without being compressed, and that seems to alleviate some of the shoulder pain.

Thanks everyone for the advice, will definitely try it out!

I have had the collar bone pain, very sharp pain. I have not found anything that helps me. Best of luck to you....I hope you find something that works.

All the best to you harpert, I hope you find something that helps.

I havent been officially diagnosed by a doc yet, but this is one of my symptoms/complaints as well. Im trying a hot rice pack right now....

I believe that one of my first onset symptoms was the shoulder/neck/upperback pain. And many times down the arm into the hand. I used to use a rice pack that went in the microwave. It worked to take off the edge temporarily. All the best and let us know how you make out at the doctor.

About a month ago my rheumatologist ordered a cervical x-ray. He said that neck/shoulder pain is a common symptom of people with FM; however, he thought the range of motion in my neck was more limited than what he typically sees. The x-ray showed moderate cervical spondylosis (osteoarthritis), but here's the interesting part. The x-ray also showed straightening of the normal cervical curvature (lordosis). In one book I'm reading on FM, the author (Tami Stackelhouse) writes: "When looking at neck x-rays of fibromyalgia patients, rheumatologist Dr. Robert S. Katz discovered that 90% of them did not have a normal forward curve. Having a straight neck may explain why so many fibromyalgia patients suffer from headaches, as well as neck and upper back pain. This may also explain why more than half of the fibromyalgia tender points are located in the neck and upper back/chest area." Most of my (neck) pain has been felt in the upper trapezius muscles which extend from the back of the neck along the shoulders and down to the mid-back. These muscles play a large part in both neck and shoulder blade movement. For all of you who also suffer from neck and shoulder pain, this may be the reason. I'm being referred to physical therapy. Ah, baby steps. Hang in there everyone!

SierraTrout, wow that is so interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back