Status
Not open for further replies.
Ann:

I will look at your references, but I suspect that the trigger points are similar to the pressure points or nerve bundles describing key locations for chi flow. These can also be used for martial arts striking points.

AK is right tho; the spacicity is a more generalized problem...at least in my case. When I wake up before I take Baclofen, I get an incredibly strong spasm that I have to control carefully to avoid charlie horses in my calves. The daily routine is a balance between tightness and too much muscle relaxer which drains strength and makes things seem a bit wobbly. I prefer some spacicity.

Massage can be great- just have to be sure the therapist adjusts for your needs.
I've had good & not so good massages- really depends on the technique of the therapist.

As for finding a licensed massage therapist, I think the therapists in most reputable spas have to be licensed. There is "therapeutic massage"; these type of therapists can be found at "pain centers". Ask around; some centers/offices you don't need to see the dr. in order to schedule a massage.

In any case, a good therapist should always ask if you have a particular problem area to work on; and when giving the massage, ask if the pressure is OK. And don't be afraid to say "a little less pressure" or "a little deeper".

My husband gets regular massage, although never deep tissue. (I think that would be contraindicated with atrophy) She does incorporate some ROM into the massage, and I have shown her how to do ROM & stretching to his feet & achilles tendon that is tight.

Last edited:
Marianne, the ROM with massage sounds wonderful.

Joyce and Jerry--I'm glad you understood the problem with my thinking and posted--I wish it could help, but if it isn't helpful it's best to know and go on looking.

I agree with Al......I had a massage a while ago (maybe it was a "deep tissue" massage) that messed it up. But after a half hour drive home my leg muscles hurt so bad I could not get out of the car. The lady that did it was my wifes friend from a salon/day spa and attempted to read up about Motor Neuron problems before I went, and she warned me that it might not be the best idea but I attempted it anyway, to at least try something. Now this lady is a professional Massage Therapist that works with a doctor for people with injuries and does just spa massage's, but she seemed concerned with the results before she even started.

That was my first and last experience with a massage, I am in no way saying everyone would have the same problems I did......just be careful.

Kevin

Hi all,
As I have posted before, I get my feet and ankles massaged and I think that my movement is improving, so I will continue with them

Cheers

Peter

Just so all you folks know, it is very important to drink lots of water after a deep tissue massage or a long full body massage.
im not sure exactly why, i believe it is because toxins are released into the system after a massage. could be why some of you feel crappy afterwards. makes you tired too.
look it up for more info.
other than that- enjoy the heck outta them!

One thing I was taught early is to question the experts because they don't ALWAYS know everything. This has been true with my ALS! My mother died of ALS in 1986. When she was diagnosed we were told by the medical profession "it cannot be inherited! Guess what "They were WRONG"because after months of tests by very experienced doctors their conclusion what that I had FALS. So like most who have had experience with the disease, and know there is nothing available to cure or slow its progress I just sat waiting for the end. The in Oct. of 2009 I saw a link on this webpage to a video on how coconut oil had helped a someone with alzeimer's, which is a relative to ALS. I decided to try it becuase WHAT DID I HAVE TO LOOSE! Since then I've been taking it, and tracking my progress each month with very positive results when compared to my mother's timeline. Today I'm glad I made the decision. However, I'm currently have new tests run to varify things have OFFICIALLY changed for the better. My neurologists now say "If you think it is helping you keep it up because they have NOTHING to prove it doesn't work! In addition yesterday after another EMG, one of the neurologists asked me to send him something I put together about my experience. He said if it is helping me it might help some of his other patients. Finally I found someone in the medical profession with an open mind! Like I said early in my career I learned many times a person with an OPEN MIND and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE is better than an expert because sometimes the simplest things can make a big difference! So I plan to keep it up because what's my choice? DO NOTHING? Wait for the professionals to find something? or Take a chance? And, last year I spent about $250.00 USD for about 5 gallons of coconut oil. Also, I do not take any other medicine except Advil sometimes. I'm sorry now that I waited so long before using it for massages.

If any of you have an open mind, and are interested in learning more about my experience, please let me know. I'm not looking for any money! I'm only hoping to help others with ALS because I personally know what it does to a person and their family!

I love having a massage but the only massages that have had any lasting effects are the ones where the therapist does the full ROM - range of motion- technique.Happily, the first massage I ever had was done by such a therapist. Checking my ROM was the first thing she did. No medical doctor had ever noticed that my shoulders and hips were contracted by spasticity but this lady did. The exercises ( stretches ) that she instructed me to do after the massage completely reversed the back problems that my spastic muscles and contracted joints caused.

No massaging of knots or pounding of muscles really do anything if your arms or legs are contracted from spasticity. It's really the physical stretching that helps. If your massage therapist doesn't do ROM then you need a new one.

I have never found any scientific/ medical source that backs up the 'releasing of toxins' scenario after muscle massage. Staying hydrated is always a good thing but as for having to slug back liters of fluids after a massage, it isn't necessary.

Over here in Ontario we call it RAAT for rub and a tug. This does release toxins. Staying hydrated is good as well. A glass of Merlot releases a lot of tensions.

AL.

Just so all you folks know, it is very important to drink lots of water after a deep tissue massage or a long full body massage.
im not sure exactly why, i believe it is because toxins are released into the system after a massage. could be why some of you feel crappy afterwards. makes you tired too.
look it up for more info.
other than that- enjoy the heck outta them!

Yea, that is one thing she kept asking & telling me is to drink a lot water. She knew going into the massage that her style was deep tissue massage and that it might not be a great idea to help. Even though I don't go anymore, she still say's to stay hydraded every, everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back