Status
Not open for further replies.
Another type of treatment is called ENDR Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing.

It helps people deal with pain and fear, panic attacks and major lifestyle events.

It is like retraining your brain not to react in the same way to a bad situation trigger. It helps with depression and certain diseases.

I have had it in the past to get over the depression and sadness caused by having fibro and it was worth the time it took to do it.

I think this an awesome breakthrough. And I am glad it is helping you. I am all for alternative medicines. The side effects and cost of some perscription meds are ridiculous. And eating healthier and being more aware of nutrtion is an overall good choice.

I think it is interesting how many different types of alterative methods are based on healing and how many of them are new and untired by most. So things you have to be really informed about what is safe to take and what is not. There are many herbal medications that claim to do wonderful things. I often wonder though if they really work as well as they say or they work because people believe in the treatment so much that it fools the body into believing there has been some kind of improvement where there really was not.

What do you think on this subject? What kinds of proof to you look for before jumping into a new treatment or program or herbal medication? Have you ever tried a program and been disappointed with the results?

Personally, if my therapist tells me about a treatment I usually research it long and hard before giving my okay. Some other programs I might do or not depending on who is telling me how great it is.

Please share your experiences here and we can discusss other healing methods and see how well they work.

I have been taking vitamins like fish oil everyday and Vitamin B complex. I use to take 5-htp but that didn't do much but made me feel full all day and like I didn't need to eat anything. I can't really tell if the fish oil is actually helping me or is it just a placebo effect. I don't even know if I am truly absorbing the vitamins that I take. I just try to really make sure I eat healthy to get the vitamins I need.

Thanks for posting. I think that fish oil is benifical, so it is a good choice. Have you ever tried the CQ-10 supplement? I have been reading some about it and it supposely helps with breathing and muscles, and such. I usually take Vitamin C & Echinacea capsules. I take Gingerroot capsules when I have pain and it seems to help me at least taking the edghe off the pain, if not stopping it all together.

Anyone else like to share their thoughts on using vitamins or other herbal medications? Please share your thoughts here.

I have never tried CQ10 but I have heard about it. I will definitely look more into it. I always thought that the medicine was for older people and has something to do with the heart.

I guess I think like you in terms of at what age will this help me, that is if it even works and if not am I wasting my money, or does it just not work for me? I try to eat a healthy diet as well, and find some things agree with my body and other things give me indigestion or heartburn or I am allergic to them. But for the most part I do well with vegetables and fruits, rice and barley and fish and salads.

There are lots of different vitamins and herbal medications, that if taken in proper doses they are fine, but many articles talk about these types of meds being over-used by some folks and then bad stuff can happen. Have you ever heard of this type of over-use? Please share any opinions on this here.

CoQ10 is one of the supplements that Dr. Oz (who I take with a very large grain of salt) pretty much suggests everyone take. It's a powerful anti-oxidant. I'm taking it, but I do so irregularly. I can't really say if it's helping or not, but my doctors seem happy with the choice.

I'm kind of picky with a lot of supplements and vitamins because some people think they are just a waste of money. I don't really know if some of the stuff I have taken in the past just caused a placebo effect to where I thought that it was making a big difference.

My daughter's teacher have recently been diagnosed with fibro, and she is going the holistic healing route. She can not take any pain medications it diminishes her concentration levels and reaction speed. They have changed her diet, and she uses an alkaline powder do decrease the acidity of her blood. She is also on homeopathic treatment. Thus far she has shown quite a bit of improvement, and her pain levels have decreased quite a bit.

This is another option to look into.

Hi,
I don't live too far from you, mayville, Ny and would love to have a private chat with you. I know a very good DR in Olean which isn't far from you.
Please let me know how I may contact you --email or other.

Linda, Thanks for joining us here. You may send me a private message here if you like and let me know your email.
I hope you are enjoying this forum. There are so many nice folks here to share with and learn from. I will look for more of your posts around the topic's, and will enjoy hearing your comments. :)

I'm kind of picky with a lot of supplements and vitamins because some people think they are just a waste of money. I don't really know if some of the stuff I have taken in the past just caused a placebo effect to where I thought that it was making a big difference.

Yeah, I've wondered this myself. I got myself a subscription at Consumer Lab - which does a lot of vitamin and supplement testing. At the very least I can get results on some (not all) brands of various things and at least make sure I'm getting what I paid for.

1sweed, Thanks for mentioning the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I too went through this treatment. It's so important for those of us with fibromyalgia and chronic illness to not let the depression swallow us up. It only increases the pain. The Behavior Therapy taught me to stop dwelling on everything that I could no longer do because of my illness and find new hobbies that I could still enjoy. I know it's not easy when so many days you are stuck inside with limited mobility, but try to focus on something positive. I made myself start reading positive books and inspirational quotes. Granted I wanted to throw them across the room sometimes, but it really helped me through a lot of hard days. Before I knew it I was reading novel after novel and educating myself on various subjects. Now I don't feel like I'm jus "wasting away".

dduhon,
Glad to hear of someone else that had that treatment. I was not sure about it at first but as I got into it more it really helped me straighten out my life some and move on. Therapy kind of helps you see your life from a different point of view. It is like realizing there are four sides to a coin. The front and back, and two sides. Now imagine your life and how often we only see one side of a problem without knowing we have three other ways to solve the problem. Once we realize there are other ways to see, it opens our life toward new possibilities.

I was stuck in a bad place when I started therapy. Depression about what I had lost overwhelmed me. I thought there was no way out of it and that if I did get out my choices were limited. I was tired and could not think straight. I felt empty and lost, and alone. Then as the therapy started working and I was able to let go of all my losses and anger, I started to heal. And in heal I had the courage to leave it behind and start my life over. I think therapy with a good therapist, can help mostly everyone deal with depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back