Melpaul88

Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
PA
Hello all!
I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia about 3 years ago. It first started as just some small shooting pains in my arms, so I got a blood test and it showed that I had rheumatoid arthritis. My rheumatologist had me on tons of different medications throughout one year (methotrexate, prednisone, humira, embrel...etc) as I kept myself on these meds, the pain got much worse and I was needing tons of tramedol. The pain I was feeling was different though, it was like my entire body was on fire and I immediately knew it was fibromyalgia from what I had read on it before. Long story short, it took a long time for me to be diagnosed because my rheumatologist thought I was making everything up and eventually dropped me as her patient when I pleaded with her to give me something for pain. I went through a deep depression and missed tons of work. Recently I have been put on savella by my primary doctor and I ended up in the hospital after throwing up for 4 days straight and having bad headaches. I was convinced
That I had a stomach ulcer or stomach cancer because that's how bad this nausea and burning pain was in my stomach every day. I did some research and found out that these are side effects of the savella. Has anyone had success withy this drug? Do you find your pain to be at its peak when you wake up?

I'm not on Savella, but my pain is usually when I first wake up and by the end of the day as the day wears on me. I wake up fairly often with headaches, extra pain in my back, numb fingers and lately, burning shins.

If you have fibromyalgia, i would STRONGLY recommend savella...it is a wonder drug. You will experience really bad nausea and vomiting for the first 8 days but by the 9th day you're pretty much 98% pain free

My Dr started me on Savella this past Tuesday. So, it has been about 3 days. It is the starter pack, so you are slowly building up to a higher dose. So far I have only had some nausea soon after I take the pill(morning and night).
My pain is worse when I wake up and throughout the night when it wakes me up. Once I finally get to relax for a minute at the end of the day, the pain is outrageous again, full force.
Good luck with the Savella if you decide to stay on it!
I am worried about a reaction with my Celexa, but my Dr thinks that taking it slow with dose increase will be ok and we will know if they are going to react.

I have the same kind of stomach pain at the same times but i got my doctor to prescribe me zofran and that works. I think I'm always going to have stomach pain with this medicine but i think id much rather deal with that pain than that of fibro. The side effects make you feel like you have a stomach ulcer or virus but I'm telling you, hang in there and take zofran right after you take the pill and every four hours after that until you reach the 50 mg. once you stop increasing your dosage, you will stop feeling as sick by about 85%

As with alot of drugs Savella has to build up a tolerance in your system. But if you are like me there is not alot of medications that don't make you sick to your stomach. I choose to live with the pain in my legs and back etc. as opposed to be so sick to my stomach all the time. To be in pain can be dibilitating but to constantly have such stomach cramps an be violently ill is worse. There are alternatives out there. Definetly discuss it with your doctor.

I'm with you Libra. I will put up with some pain rather than be sick. I have enough trouble with the IBS so I won't use a med that makes me worse.

I feel for you. I just cannot handle nausea. I'd honestly rather just go throw up rather than try and hold it back, or at least I used to. Then I had gallbladder attacks in 2009 before my surgery that had me "worshiping the porcelain god" nearly every 30-45 mins straight for 18 hours. Nothing would stay down, not even sugar free sports drinks or jell-o gelatin. Now I literally get anxious if I get nauseated. Suffice to say I got a stomach virus in 2011 and I was in Urgent Care -begging- them to make it stop. They gave me Ondansetron(Zofran) and oh my, this stuff is a blessing from heaven. I'm still squirreling away the last few pills I didn't take, but they're old enough now I should probably chunk them :( Instant nausea relief. They melt under your tongue (and don't actually taste vile!) and they're cheeeeeeap. Probably not something you could take long-term, but maybe something you could ask for while getting used to a new medication to get over the worst of it?

I take zofran twice a day every day when I take the savella. I'd rather live with an hr of stomach pain a day everyday than deal my fibro pain. Everyone has different levels of pain. In my case, my pain in severe enough to put me In a wheel chair so there is no way to just "deal" with the pain. If the side effects don't go away after two months ill think about switching but right now some stomach cramping and nausea is well worth the pain relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back