Melatonin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you take more than you need, you might wake up a little sleepy, but since it is a natural hormone, and not a drug, it is not addictive, and there are no side effects. I suggest starting with 3 mg, and take it about a half hour before you are going to go to bed, and you should start feeling drowsy by bedtime, but not drugged, just naturally sleepy. I have never had any problem with nightmares. I occasionally have a bad dream, but it is not like the melatonin causes me to have more of them, in fact, I usually sleep soundly.

Thank you so much for all this, Happyflowerlady... it sounds like exactly what I need. I don't have any trouble falling asleep but it gets so overwhelming waking at 1:30 or 2:30 every single night. It's like "Oh please, not again!" :cry: Sometimes I can get back to sleep but often not. It's draining.

I checked at the store this morning for the kind I mentioned and they aren't carrying it yet.. I think it may be new, so I'm going to check on amazon. If I don't have luck there either, I'll just buy another form when I get to the store again.

I suggest starting with 3 mg, and take it about a half hour before you are going to go to bed, and you should start feeling drowsy by bedtime, but not drugged, just naturally sleepy.

Well I did it... I ordered some on my Amazon prime and it will be here in two days. I'm so excited about it and if it works for me, I'm going to suggest it to my friends with fibro and other chronic pain.

I ordered the sublingual... strawberry :) and I'm so hoping that it will help. Last night I woke up thinking it was morning and time to get up and it was 12:35. Ugh.

One thing I'm wondering about now... I hadn't realized that what I ordered is 5mg and you suggested 3. I'm thinking that won't be much of a problem? I can't really cut a sublingual in half... I think?

Update on this for anyone who's thinking about trying it like I was... I'm amazed, but it really does work for me. Well, maybe just partially, but let me explain. :) First night I took the 5mg because that's what this brand is. I woke up a lot more often than ever and had a really bad dream and I *never* have those. I looked it up and yep, sure enough, those can both be signs of too high of a dosage. (So why's a respectable supplement place *selling* 5mg anyhow?!)

I also found in that research that 1 to 3mg is suggested.... and since they are "melt in the mouth" tablets, I was easily able to break one in half and try again. Ever since I've been taking the 2.5 mg, I've noticed a difference. I never had trouble falling asleep, and I still wake at 2:30 as always, *BUT* I'm able to go back to sleep after that 2:30 wake-up now! It was wearing me down terribly both physically and mentally to have to lie there for hours staring into the darkness after that middle of the night waking. But now I'm able to go back to sleep and usually sleep until close to 4:30 which is when we get up anyhow.

Bottom line, this has made a big difference in my life. Thank you to the original poster for reminding me about it, and to happyflowerlady for the encouragement to give it a try!

Melatonin works really well to give you a good night's sleep. I've used it periodically for the past 15 years. Yes, vivid dreams can be a side effect.

I'm using a special extract that is supposed to calm your nerves, it's made with lettuce and a special herb (valerian?) I can't remember the name right now, but it seems this extract is helping me to sleep at night. I seem to feel more calm as well :) It could also be a placebo, but at this point I really don't care :p As long as it keeps working it's good :)

I tried melatonin in the past, and it worked great, btw :)

Is anyone using 5htp. I have just started it, but no affects yet.

Melatonin works really well to give you a good night's sleep. I've used it periodically for the past 15 years. Yes, vivid dreams can be a side effect.

I wish I wouldn't have to do an update on this, but... well, I do. :-( I was so excited about the way Melatonin had worked for me those first few weeks... but then I started noticing that I was once again waking much too early and I was right back to where I was before I started taking it.

I'm not sure if taking a higher dose, like the whole 5 mg would make things better or worse. I won't give up on it yet, but it sure was a disappointment after it worked for me so well for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back