Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wondered what the experts had to say about this. My rheumatologist (sp?) doesn't tell me crap about anything. I try to exercise but it is so painful. I am with you; just getting out of bed is an ordeal. I have to take a vicodin and stay in bed for half an hour. At some point, I fit in a little exercise but walking outside is very difficult. I tackle the treadmill at five minute increments until I get to twenty minutes.
I recently tried water walking and it was so great, I could not believe it. For one thing, I was so buoyant---I could hop, skip, jump, things I haven't done in years. I wanted to join the club on the spot but it is so costly. If you can, I would recommend water walking!

Water is the best low impact exercise I ever tried. I am sixty though so what works for my crippled old body may not be the right thing for you. When I drive by the trails and see people walking along normally, I feel envious. I would walk with about anybody if I felt better.

No one does. I walk .2 of a mile around the garages and it darn near kills me. I have to rest on the back of my truck before I can climb the stairs to the house. Newton, the apple guy, said a "body in motion stays in motion." I try to live my life based on that principle.
I think if I could lose weight it would help with the pain but how does one lose weight when they are home all day---near the fridge--and are unable to exercise? Has anybody tried Sensa? I am not trying to look better, I am trying to feel better.

I think there is no other way to start. Even the Rock had to start his training slowly to become the specimen he is. Of course he does not have the added burden of fibro or sjogrens or MS or any other debilitating diseases---I hope.
I think a little pain is to be expected when you first start but I would not overdo, resulting in terrible pain. I walked at least twenty minutes everyday on my treadmill, stopping regularly but proceeding. I thought if I did this for 29 days, I could work through the pain eventually. On the thirtieth day, i couldn't climb out of bed. I felt like I had five broken bones in five distinct areas of my body! I became very scared of exercise. Now I'm back on that treadmill---consequences be damned!

I know that exercise releases endorphins into the body, and because of this there is a chance that it would be able to reduce the amount of pain that you're in. However, you need to be careful about the exercise that you choose. If you choose something that is going to be harsh on your body, then you might find that it would cause more pain than it would remove. I think that things like swimming are a good idea, because you don't have to put your weight on your joints and muscles, and the water takes a lot of the weight. Just a few gentle lengths could make a great difference to your pain and overall fitness.

I have a question that I keep meaning to ask of both friends and doctors.

IF your body cannot produce enough endorphins to control your pain, without adding exercise to a daily routine, how in the world does the body produce endorphins beyond it's usual capacity and, once you have triggered that little boost in production, how can the body maintain an endorphin level high enough to continue that relief during the painful aftermath ?

I have not found an exercise routine that doesn't trigger a painful aftermath. Luckily, I have great pain medications but always have break through pain issues, with exercise.

If the body produces limited amounts of insulin, how is this not true with endorphins?

Last edited:
I was just diagnosed but have been symptomatic for years. The Rheumatologist asked at my appointment if I exercise. When I told him I run 4 days a week he was very happy. He told me I am way ahead of the game and to stay active. He did say that I will need to figure out what amount makes me feel better and what amount makes me worse.

I started exercising a year and a half ago. Been running for a year. I did notice that if I missed 3 days in a row I would have more pain. This is the first real flare I have had since I started exercising. It is also the worst flare I have ever had and I am 3 months into it. I have not started treatment yet because my PCP does not have the Rhuematologist report yet. I talked to him today and he said 7 to 10 days. Ugh. 2 more weeks until I can hope for treatment. Hoping it works. In the mean time I will keep forcing myself out the door. I am in lots of pain but I do feel a bit better on exercise days. Dr also recommended yoga or Tai Chi

Great job but I could not consider walking fifteen minutes. I do try to move everyday but if I climb on my treadmill---if I'm able to lift my leg that far--I can go in two minute increments but I do as many of those as I can. I can't walk outside without support and I sure as hell am not using a walker until I absolutely have no choice! That would be psychologically bad for me---just sayin'.
I did try water walking and I'll tell you, it was sublime! I was naturally so buoyant and light and I did it for a long time. It was a trial membership though and I can't afford to join at this time. When I can...

I don't honestly know my endorphins from my dorsal fins but I have experienced excruciating pain after 27 days in a row on the treadmill. I thought I was doing great, upping it everyday, establishing a habit. I woke up on the 28th day feeling like I had five broken bones in my body---seriously hurting! Could not get out of bed for two days.
Then I tried to water walking but now I am back on that treadmill! If I do something everyday, I am pleased. I know the whole "body in motion" deal but here is my question---do I push it? Do I try to push through the pain, which is never gone? Or is that damaging me worse? Further, is it possible to damage me worse?
I see a new rheum on Friday; perhaps I'll have some answers at that time!
PS__it would be helpful If i lost some weight too.

I have intense fibro tissue pain, and muscular pain that may be from fibro. Unfortunately, taking a walk is no improvement. In fact, when the fibro hits the tissue around my ankles, around my knees, between the bones of my foot (the bones on top that run toward the toes) and in the arch of my foot, it is agony to walk. But stretching while lying on the ground helps a lot, especially arching my back and stretching each leg back, as though I'm doing an arabesque.

I also have migratory pain down my left side, presumably through ME/CFS (for which I have a diagnosis), fibro, or general neurological malaise. That pain (throbbing and burning... feels like the left side of my body is roasting on a spit) DOES improve with exercise. But because my ME/CFS means I can't walk more than three city blocks. I find it better to walk around the apartment doing small things, sit and relax every few minutes, and then get up again to do another small task. Being horizontal makes this migratory pain much worse. But of course, staying vertical is often hard, as I often have vertigo. Even standing up helps, for as long as I can stand up.

It's extremely hard not to beat myself up for lack of productive activity, but it's essential to not do it.

It's amazing reading all the posts for the similarities. I love to exercise and GENERALLY I do find that it helps. HOWEVER, there are days that I can't do anything. It took a long while, but I have had to learn to listen to my body. As a rule, I take the stairs at work, park furthest from the front door, and work out 3-5 times per week; this usually helps. However, there are times that I have to mentally be ok with going a week maybe even two without being able to work out. Today I took the elevator at work because my hip was hurting so bad. I normally would have worked out at the fitness center at work, but I couldn't. It was depressing. Sometimes when I can't do a good workout, I can do a yoga DVD, but sometimes that is even too much. All that is to say that yes, I do think exercise helps in general, however depending on flares, where the pain is etc...you have to listen to your body and learn the difference between "hey I'm stiff, warm me up and we can get a nice workout" and "I am tensing up and will cause you pain if you try to do anything remotely physical". Distinguishing between the two is the toughest part...

That's a good point, Hurting_ in_ Philly... there really isn't an answer here that works for everyone. There are good days when exercise may feel great but... like you said, then there are those other days. :-(

I think when it comes to exercising or not, everyone needs to make that decision the day they'll be doing it. If it works, great... if not, I think that forcing yourself into more pain wouldn't be a very wise choice.

I try to exercise as often as I can, at least 5 times a week. I'm still suffering from fatigue and chronic back pain, so I'm sticking to cardio work outs. I used to be in great pain back when I was overweight, but now that I'm on the lighter side I've noticed a lot improvement. To the point I can work out 5 days in a week!

I think it also depends on the degree of pain someone is dealing with...if the pain is too much, then maybe walking is a fine idea. That's how I started actually... and from there I started to do cardio work outs. Took me a few years tho.

So I have been unsure of the amount of exercise I should be doing and if I should force it, even when it hurts. I saw a new rheumo yesterday and he said to stop when it hurts. OK, good, now I know.
He surprised me by saying my MRI showed in addition to the sjogrens, I have spinal stenosis which might account for much of my pain. The last rheumo didn't tell me altho I asked him what the MRI showed. Crappy? I think so.:-x

My God--you're a rockstar! I was going to brag today that I had walked twenty minutes on my treadmill but sort of embarrassed when I see how successful you have been. Tomorrow, as the result of those twenty minutes, I will be laid up! Dang it but it felt good today! I had to walk 10 and sit a moment , walk ten more. I believe if I did not have a errand to run, I could have made thirty minutes. Unusual!

I think that is great and I believe losing the weight was a big help. I could easily lose forty pounds, would be thrilled with thirty. I can't even lose the easiest ten pounds people speak of. Not easy or fun at all---so few things are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back