Does cardio help with your fatigue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular cardio like a walk of about 1 mile does not improve my condition no. However a very intense burst of cardio like a 0.25 mile sprint will give me a jolt of energy that can last up to around 90 minutes. A walk of over 3 miles usually has a similar effect, albeit on a lower level. Exercise can also trigger me to have a nap which is very helpful for me personally.

Before I had fibromyalgia, or any health problems, I would do cardio almost every day. I also had a very physical job that was an all-day cardio workout, basically. Now, I have become a bit too sedentary. This is due to my resistance to movement, because movement causes me pain. I am trying to break free of this cycle, because i'm afraid that losing muscle tone will cause me to become weak and more painful. I have started physical therapy again, which is in a different office, and they are great. I am not doing cardio. I am doing very slow, controlled, tighten-and-release style of muscle toning, along with some myofascial release that is done by a therapist. The stretches are very light, and nothing too hard. I feel more positive about this PT than the last one. The former PT was making me work out too hard, which made me feel worse.

Cardio doesn't help me. In fact I would probably black out if I tried cardio for more than 5 mins ;) But everyone is different. If you feel like it's helping you, then do it. Everyone's cfs is different and you might be one of the lucky ones who can do cardio :)

I break out in a sweat when I move around much during a flare-up. I know I need to move more and have been trying. I bought a fitbit and my goal is 10,000 steps a day. I've only hit it a few times in the past few months, but I'm paying attention and trying to move and walk more. I've decided the gym isn't really where I want to be so I've been thinking of other things I can do to get out and move. We took in a rescue horse last summer for my daughter. I've tried to get out and work with her and take walks sometimes. On good days, I've hopped on and just rode her around for a while. I told my parents I'd like to bicycle so want to get one. That was on Easter. My dad comes out with one he had bought several years ago and said "here you go"! I was floored! When I came home that night, I noticed that my husband's bike was sitting in front of the garage. He had pulled it down from the shop. My daughter loves to ride her bike as well. It's been pouring rain since here so I haven't gotten out, but I'm going too! Maybe that will help me break this vicious cycle of headaches, fatigue and colitis flare-ups I've been in for the past couple of months.....Rain, rain go away!

Right now, I realized that if I do any form of exercise; they next day you feel super exhausted and tend to sleep in. I think you should exercise but start slow and build up over time. I believe that ppl with CFS and Fibro, internally body is already tired and not in balance, so you don't want to over do it.

Before I had fibromyalgia, or any health problems, I would do cardio almost every day. I also had a very physical job that was an all-day cardio workout, basically. Now, I have become a bit too sedentary. This is due to my resistance to movement, because movement causes me pain. I am trying to break free of this cycle, because i'm afraid that losing muscle tone will cause me to become weak and more painful. I have started physical therapy again, which is in a different office, and they are great. I am not doing cardio. I am doing very slow, controlled, tighten-and-release style of muscle toning, along with some myofascial release that is done by a therapist. The stretches are very light, and nothing too hard. I feel more positive about this PT than the last one. The former PT was making me work out too hard, which made me feel worse.

Amazing how this disease changes it all, no? I'm becoming so sedentary as well and I hate it. I plan to get an elliptical in the future tho :) Since that's the only kind of workout I can do, funny because some months ago I could still do cardio 3 times a week, but was recently diagnosed with something that can get worse with the wrong workouts.

Congrats on trying to get active again :) Best of luck with that! I wish you the best!

Yes! Working out definitely will help out with your fatigue. I usually do some basic yoga in the mornings. This helps with waking me up and getting better blood flow. At night I do cardio. This allows me to sleep very well afterwards and I am less likely to be tired in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back