Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
In the beginning, (6years or so ago), was Graves disease which nearly killed me before I killed it, (radioactive iodine). And, as in the program HEE HAW, they used to sing, "Deep dark depression, excessive misery." It took 4 docs and 3 years to get it regulated. And it was the worst pain by far I've ever had, (mostly the migraines)
Next both my dad and father-in-law died, the latter after I had been his caregiver for 2 years.
Then things really began to roll; menopause; "significant" arthritis in back and neck w/fusion and DD, = chronic pain, 2 kidney surgeries = more chronic pain and narcotics(thank God!) After that my life-long migraines began to pick up again and the "pain doc" tried several things that didn't work.
Now I'm recuperating from ankle surgery and will soon have shoulder surgery and then before the year's end the other ankle (these mostly because of arthritis and damage; "overuse".) I just want to walk after all.
During this whole time I thought each procedure would bring the relief I craved, but the overall pain just got worse, the fatigue became so bad I could no longer drive and I thought for sure I had Alzheimer's.
Then one day as I began to weep, my pain doc said he thought I have FM and started me on Cymbalta--it has helped a lot and even though I usually "go natural" I was so desperate I no longer cared. How long does one want to live like this? At this point I figure quality rather than quantity and I think I'll stay on this program until it doesn't work for me any longer. I've lost 68lbs so far, (by the grace of God & Low Carb),am trying Dr. Teitlebaum's vitamins, and magnesium,(Natural Calm) is helping with the headaches and leg pain. I see a Chiro and massage therapist most every week, (which also helps with stress). But still--I used to ride horses all day, build fence, buck hay, milk cows, etc., etc. Now I barely have energy to enjoy my precious little grandkids or make dinner.

I feel for you! I am most likely younger but I ask myself the same question. How long does one want to live with this? I am glad the cymbalta is helping you. It didn't help me except for gaining a bunch of weight. I also take magnesium for restless leg pain it really helps. It is very hard to accept this title. I have been struggling with it too, I always think "I used to be able to do this or that". I have worked very hard in my life and used to work 16 hours at a factory and then go out in the field picking corn all night, Now I have trouble walking at night and getting out of bed in the morning. All I can say is you are not alone, I wish you the best and will pray for you.

Ruralchick, I know how tough graves is because I saw what it did to my boyfriend's mom. I'm truly sorry (I really mean it) to hear it took you so many doctors to get this under control. I'm actually in a similar situation right now, because I've been having some really weird symptoms since I traveled abroad, and have no idea what is going on. Praying to G-d I find the right doctor before whatever this is kills me or worse! I can handle muscular pain anywhere else in my body, but not my neck or headaches... can't live with those!

I understand, at the end taking meds sounds like the best idea. If my pain gets worse I'll have no choice but taking pain meds :( In the end it's about quality of life after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back