DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
Hi all,

I'm new here. I was diagnosed with FM in January '14. The doc gave me Elavil (amytriptyline) to help with pain and insomnia. Didn't help at all, even with upping the dose multiple times.

He referred me to a rheumatologist, the wait list was long. I was supposed to get an appointment in August and now they're saying January.

A few months after trying Elavil, I tried Cymbalta. It didn't work. I've tried ibuprofen, acetaminophen, Robax and other muscle relaxants... Just about everything I can find.

My pain level is a 10. It takes me hours of laying there and trying, to get to sleep. Very light sleep, the slightest sound wakes me up. I wake up so stiff I feel like I'll snap in two. Its worn me down and I'm barely hanging in there now.

Do you guys have any tips? What options are there? What meds have helped you?

Thanks in advance. :)

How long was u on the amitripoline it took well over six weeks to work well for me. I'm on 50mg.
Also I wear my earplugs so I don't here outside sounds im a very light sleeper.
I no the feeling of waking up stiff and sore I also take two paracetamol with two tramadol and really helps with pain. I'd have to say stretching your arms and legs fingers really helps with the stiffness ,
Try warm baths before bed and a hot water bottle.
But ask Dr about tramadol as with paracetamol it works even better I take it morning and bed time when things are bad.

Hi there. Any of the antidpressants will take 8 weeks to know the full benefit. If you're looking more medications, has your doc tried gabapentin? Non meds suggestions: stretching, heat, meditation, magnesium supplements. Capsaicin ointments, diet changes--no processed foods, gentle massage. There are all sort of ideas here on the forum that have help folks ease their pain. Check out past posts for more ideas...and take care.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Try reading the alternative methods as there are a lot of things you can do at home to improve your condition. Read the older posts, as well as, the new ones. The other members have shared relaxation ideas and soaking in a warm bath with epson salts in the water. Or look in department stores or online for a 2 to 4 inch thick pad that lays underneath your sheets, but on top of your mattress to give you more cushioning and support while sleeping. They come in all bed sizes and are reasonably priced. This is not a regular mattress pad. I have used the cotton batting and feather filled ones for years and they provide extra softness for your back and hips, and legs. Makes you feel like your sleeping on a cloud. If you sleep better, you will feel better.

There are a lot of good usable hints and ideas, and coping skills offered and so just take time to read and learn. Join in by posting questions or answering other members posts. Glad you found us. :)

Thanks all. I will take a look at the rest of the forum. The Elavil and Cymbalta made me so nauseous I ended of throwing up every time I took it. Needless to say, I stopped taking it. Oddly enough, I have never been one to get a weak stomach from things, but I guess I learned something new. Unfortunately, I don't have a bathtub - it would make my life sooo much better! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back