Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
OH
Walking. I feel helpless because I can't walk long before all my muscles from my lower back down start to burn and refuse to move. This is so hard to describe! There was a point in time before I became mostly immobile that I would be walking and have to say left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot....just to move forward. I look at the ground when I walk because if I look at how far I have to go I get overwhelmed. I am curious if anyone else feels like this about walking. Will i ever be able to walk again?

hi JeNee...i have trouble walking as the pain in my legs hips and lower back is like you describe.....it all burns and locks up like i have turned to stone. The pain is unbearable...pushing through just makes it even worse so that then i can barely hobble from room to room at home.

I have been like this for a few months now. Before that i had ups and downs but could frequently walk for 40 minutes to the shops or round a garden center or a stroll round a country village 2 or 3 times a week.

I am hoping for those days to come back and i really hope your days of walking come back again too.

Have you tried a bath before you try or taking pain meds and building up slowly...say 5 minutes every other day for a week or two then 10 minutes every other day to see if you can improve things.

My thoughts are with you...this illness is so cruel

Hi Willow. Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I was alone in this. I'm sorry you have the same trouble as me but knowing I'm not alone is kind of a relief (?) It seems like I am getting worse as time goes on. I resigned from teaching two years ago. I didn't resign because of my health but because I wanted to try a different career. I used to walk a huge school on a daily basis. I look back on it and realize that I was losing my ability to walk even then. I would always look for shortcuts to get from point A to point B. It is so noticeable now because I can barely make it to my car. It blows my mind how far I've degenerated! I am hoping that getting my knee replaced will help. But to be honest....I don't think it will. I'm scared. And frustrated. I'm still wrapping my head around my lack of mobility. It has been suggested that I start with small distances. I just don't know if that will work. Anyway, I've decided that if the TKR doesn't help I WILL find a way to be mobile even if it means a scooter. I want to go back to work. I'm too young to not be working and we are really starting to feel the ramifications financially. Why has my ability to walk been taken away?

I Did , yes, not as bad now. It was side effects from meds for me. Cymbalta a d Lyrica. I should of seen a councilor before they put me on this stuff. Yep I was dizzy, I had what's called reverse gate. Think about how a horse gates, sound the same? Reasearch, all you.can. May I ask what your taking for pain? I understand if u don't want to share. Or you could private message me. Thinking there will be a healing soon.

Welcome .u most likely will find after week or maybe months your fibro moves somewhere else, and your find it easier to walk again.
Sometimes when my legs go stiff I can't move. But sometimes if I just keep taking little steps I find after say 15 mins I can walk better.so don't give up hope ,
Never give up hope.x

I am on Cymbalta and have been for many years. I have recently had my dose increased. I will look up reverse gate! Thanks :D

Hi Jenee maybe Moe has a point about the drugs.

I didn't know any of our drugs could make the pain and mobility worse...fatigue maybe but not pain.

I used to be like forgetmenot....stiff and pain but movement helped it ease out. Sadly that's not the case anymore believe me i have tried everything.

Don't give up though as for some people it does just flair and then move.

Let us know how you are doing with updates.

Hi JeNee,
I have had trouble with mobility as well. I couldn't believe what was happening to me. I had the hardest time standing. I'd go from a sitting position to a count of 3 to stand up but I had to push myself off the couch or chair and lean forward so I wouldn't fall back down, plus it seemed to put less pressure on my knees. Then when I tried to walk, my left leg (sometimes its my right leg) would not want to move. It hurt too darn much! So I just held onto furniture and kind of dragged my leg. I had to stay kind of bent over too bc the pain of standing up straight was too much! I remember during one of those days I made my husband laugh bc I said, "I am Igor. What can I get for you Master?" I guess it was unexpected bc I had been complaining earlier. Luckily for me, that flare didn't last more than 10 days. When it moved it went to my rib on my right side, that was for just 4 or 5 days and then it moved to my jaw joints which lasted about 5 days and affected my throat and breathing. I think that scared my rheumy. My flares all involved major inflammation which just kept moving around until I got a steroid shot from my rheumy. It was like a miracle....sort of. I have been at a pain level of 1-3 for 3 weeks now, which is great but there always seems a price to pay for feeling better. I have insomnia and the steroid shot made it so much worse. The first or second night (can't really remember) I was up until 10 the next morning. Last night I fell asleep around 4:30am so I guess I'm getting closer to what was my normal.
Don't give up JeNee. Your flare will surely end. They say you have to move even though it hurts. Sometimes I want to say, "Yeah? Up yours!" But its true, even just gently straightening and bending your knees while on the couch or bed may help but I have never had a knee replacement so you may want to check with your doctor about what gentle exercises you can do while waiting for your knee replacement.
Best wishes for a day with less pain!

Cheryl Ann what you said to your husband made me laugh...your post gives me and hopefully Jenee hope that the pain and immobility can be that bad and still pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back