Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
TN
I have been doing a lot of reading about new breakthroughs in fibro treatment. Some of them include using a medication that is for alcoholics and opiate users to help block the effects of the drug in their brain so they can stop using them. It's called LDN or naltrexone. People have had great success with that for fibro and MS. It works similarly to NMDA inhibitors, which help change the way we process pain in the brain. There drugs work well on a subset of fibro patients, because I think everyone's cause of fibromyalgia is different. Has anyone else read about these?

When I see my doc after I move, I am going to ask to be put on one of these. I'm curious about safety, because NMDA inhibitors can be risky. These include ketamine, mematine, dextromethorphan, etc. Dextromethorphan is a common ingredient in cough medicine, and form what I've read, you shouldn't buy it over the counter because a doctor needs to regulate your dose. But that was how I accidentally discovered it, because I took a cough medicine and my symptoms were completely gone for the entire time I was taking it. I didn't continue because I want a doctor to discuss this with me and oversee the treatment.

But anyways, these things are supposed to be HIGHLY effective in treating pain. I wanted to share this because I believe in looking outside the two FDA approved drugs. I know they help a lot of people and that's amazing, but many can't tolerate the side effects. Including me.

Anyone with experience or questions, feel free to comment below! Appreciate it.

I heard about LDN several years ago but its not available in the UK for fibromyalgia.....like you say it needs to be tested for fibro patients and licensed and made available more easily...it is cheap I believe so i don't know why more research is not done.

Hope you get more replies maybe someone here has tried it.

Let us know if you start using it and if it helps. Would appreciate.

Try gabapentin for pain. Works good, cheap too. Prescription needed. I take it for flare ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back