Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2017
Country
US
State
AZ
To any one that has tried or is currently doing a gluten free diet had any issues touching things that contain gluten?

I have considered trying a gluten free diet but haven't yet and am more strongly considering it after having a horrible flare up after doing paper mache with a flour mixture. I was building a paper mache tower for about 3 hours straight and that night I had the most horrible hand pains that lasted longer than I have ever had a flare up last. So I am worried that just not eating gluten won't be enough and I will have to avoid touching it. Which isn't that hard to do just wondering if I should go to that extreme.

Food allergies is one of the bigest fibro problem. Sure there are bunch of choices out there to choose but with fibro you will always find something in it that still not going agree with you reguardless.

What other people do for their diet plans may not work for you cause all fibro effect each and every one differently. If you seriously want to get through the bottom of it you need to do the 'eliminating diet plan' to see what you and you alone have the problem with. And you can find that out online of how to.

Someday I can't eat any carbs food or sugar at all so I have to aviod it like a plaque cause my body said no. Then some ther day out if the blue with bad migraine and long fatique I need it to get energy and lesser the on going headache if I don't eat it I'll be in the world of hurts. And that's the reality.

If you keep on asking shouldn't I eat this or that? The answer you are gonna get out there is yes you should't eat it and here are more lists of what you should avoid eating. Then one day you're going end up with nothing else left to eat. :sad:

It is around 6% of the population that is gluten intolerant or sensitive, so when so many people say that they are benefiting from a gluten-free diet, it is often the fact that they are paying close attention to what they are eating. Knowing you are making well-thought out decisions makes you feel healthier. If (It does not necessarily always mean that it is healthier though, you could be buying lots of gluten-free ready made items which are filled with sugars and unhealthy fats)

It is all about finding what works for you, and what not. For me, for example, it is a plant-based diet, but I also know that acidic foods like tomatoes, lemons hurt my stomach if I eat them on an empty stomach. You find all of this out through trial and error, it definitely helps to keep a food diary etc.

I also now know not to fall for all the health tips you read all over the place. For example, everyone always says 'eat breakfast', so I had been forcing myself to eat breakfast and felt miserable for years. Now I accept I am nauseous in the morning and not eating anything is the right thing for me. I just drink water, later around 11, I'll have my cup of tea, around 1-2 pm my breakfast/lunch and I am fine.

Common sense is often the best answer, otherwise you start to stress about food too much and stress is far worse than any food out there!

I am on a glutin and dairy free diet for a month to see if I notice any difference in symptoms. It has been about 2 weeks so far and I do seem to have less nasal congestion and cough. My memory and organization seem better, too. The real test will come when I go back on glutin and milk one at a time for one week. I'm also off caffeine, too. I don't know about the flour paste. I'd go glut in free for a month and then try the paper marche again.

I've actually read a surprising number of adults are lactose intolerant and don't know it. The effects can be rather subtle.

I know I should try giving it up but... cheese :(

I agree with vickythecat. Adding that unless you are actually are allergic to gluten there is little benefit to not eating it in and of itself. But I think it's defiantly something people like us should try just to make sure.

I've finally decided to look at my crappy diet myself and see what I can do to fix it.

See you have made a positive influence on me. :)

I have been gluten free for over 15 years - celiac - and my pain and fatigue issues started 6 years ago...so I guess gluten free isn't helping me !!!

In the winter I have a lot of sinus issues and headaches - reducing/cutting out dairy definiely helps - WHEN they are bothering me. Hard cheeses and Swiss cheese in particular have the least lactose. I occasionally have cheddar and I have half & half in my coffee, that's about it.

I think it is truly just a matter of trial & error - figuring out what your body can tolerate. Some people say they have problems with nightshades (peppers, potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes). It's hard to figure out sometimes because our symptoms go up & down already, the weather changes, sleep patterns change, etc.

FWIW, it is also hard to cut gluten out - I am very strict about it but when I started I couldn't believe how it is hidden in so many things and don't get me started on cross contamination ! I've become an expert now though !

OMG Talk about thight shade vegetables.

That's about as far confusing informations online as it could gets. Cause 12,000 alkaloids out there most people often mistaking between poisons or for medications and when it comes to night shaded it kinda getting it all the bad wrap on top of it.

There's the time I believed nightshade was a culprit, but then after have the good farmers market quality night shade vegs, it was like a night and day different. One are pains , another none whatsoever not to mentiom feeling very good after. I also need to wash all my fruits and vegs like crazy do to how far supermarket willinging to go to keep their fruits and vegs longer shelves life's.

I used to have stomach problem after eat a bag of prepackage/precut salad mix vegetables, I thought it was the salad dressing so I used mine and still the same result. Turns out , they use large doses of chlorine to wash/rins the vegs that stronger than the doses in the swiming pool too keep them from wilting . I'm chlorine sensitive, dah. :roll: I can't even drink tap water straight out from tap without filter and over night in different container. Chlorine external contacts are actually ok for me just not for consuming .

And during sinus, allergies , migraine, TMJ. I need to avoid all aged cheeses or beer like a plaque :confused: . All my diets are catering to what I'm feeling or need each symptoms I'm facing. So I treat my food like medicine now. And like origin of the meds , some are poison some are depend on quality and grades . It's easier to think of it that way.

Cause the second biggest mass of neurons in our body are in our gut ( literally) beside our brain that is. Talk about gut feeling . *sign*

Last edited:
Tipnatee,
Do you plan your food to be dairy free? This has made a huge difference in the amount of thick mucus for me and my cough, too.

Tipnatee,
Do you plan your food to be dairy free? This has made a huge difference in the amount of thick mucus for me and my cough, too.

I thought about it at first till I've found out about my calcium deficiency. So with calcaium supplement have been drinking aand eating much less dairy than ever now.

Most of my sinus seem to be the terrible nasal congestion. I lost sense if smell and taste completely from it. The weirdest thing would be the dryness sensation even during nasal cogestion flare up. And OMG the sinus headache pressure pains! I wanna bang my head through the wall most of the time. :confused: During the use of nasal spray do to the congestion pains are lies between my eyes and my nasal passage, I have to turn my head upside down to get it to drip upward. The burns are so intense most of the time even eyes and face just get extremely puffy afterward. As far as allergies , I can hardly tell what my alleries are any longer.

I just take enough ( hands full) of antihistamine and call it a day.

Last edited:
I have been on gluten/lactose free diet for 20 years. Sure, every now and then I take something but really not much. I didn't notice that my pain is less, I am not quite sure how would it feel if I eat all that. I know only that my headaches stopped after I completely stopped with gluten, and now I know if I make pizza for the kids on Friday, on Sunday I will have a headache. But generally I feel bloated and heavy, and that doesn't help fibro. My advice is (not really mine, I've heard it:0 if you have any health issues you should try for a few weeks without gluten and lactose. And just see. Introduce that food back and see if there is change. Food is a medicine but also a poison.

I have been on gluten/lactose free diet for 20 years. Sure, every now and then I take something but really not much. I didn't notice that my pain is less, I am not quite sure how would it feel if I eat all that. I know only that my headaches stopped after I completely stopped with gluten, and now I know if I make pizza for the kids on Friday, on Sunday I will have a headache. But generally I feel bloated and heavy, and that doesn't help fibro. My advice is (not really mine, I've heard it:0 if you have any health issues you should try for a few weeks without gluten and lactose. And just see. Introduce that food back and see if there is change. Food is a medicine but also a poison.

I believe you are talking about elimination diet. I still do it every now and then to see if there's a new change or new stuff I need to avoid or eat more.

It works very well for me. Most people do 30 days eliminating diet , but I don't need that long to know cause if it might hurt, it will right away.

Even good medicine can be a poison if you body doesn't agree with.

I'm nearing the end of my thirty days without dairy, glutin and caffeine. So, right after thanksgiving I will start adding them back into my diet one at a time. I'll let everyone know what happens.

I have been gluten-free for almost 5 years now. It has no effect on my fibro issues, but has made a HUGE difference in another, unrelated to fibro, issue I was having.
If I even were to eat a bite of something with gluten in it now I would feel as though I had the flu for three or four days. At least that is what happened the last time, about 2 years ago.

I say, try it if you want. But it means being very, very strict about it, reading labels and going completely totally off gluten for at least 6 weeks to give it a proper try.
I have not yet heard of any one having relief from fibro by going gluten free, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back