Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
Has anybody out there tried trigger point therapy? Has it worked for you?

I've been considering getting the book and trying it out.

If you do let us know DK...my pain is so bad i have become a bit afraid to be prodded in any way but i would be very interested if you had some success.

I hope it helps you if you give it a go.x

I've done the therapy and the trigger point injections for 10 years, near the end of 10 years the injections started putting me into flares. I could no longer tolerate the injections, I was getting 30 to 40 injections once a month. I stopped all injections for a year, and I felt better, less flares. Then my legs went numb for a several days followed by intense pain from my lower back to my feet. I have now restarted trigger point injections and therapy on my legs, feet, lower back and butt, I have bursitis in my hips, piriformis syndrome and rls on top of fibro...ugh.
All I can say it yes it helps, but i can produce flares...All one can do I try.

Thanks, suzyg, I appreciate you your sharing your experience.

Willow, I will definitely let you guys know what I find out.

I have been considering getting the trigger point workbook by Claire Davies and trying some of the techniques at home.

Never heard of that DK, do let us no what it's all about.��

hey DK,

yes i have tried it at a very novice level. i did get the book and a foam roller to help me work out some of my trigger areas. it does make me feel a lot better after working them out. it's like giving yourself a massage on the tight areas that eventually helps relax the body. i used to do it daily the first few months and now i only do it when i need to. i think it's a great tool to have for us achers.

Thanks for the info - i just got a hold of the book. It is a very interesting read! I'm glad to see it shows trigger
points for hands and wrists as well as areas I usually think of massage helping (back, neck and so forth).

I need to do some more reading before I get started. Hopefully this will help take the edge off

I found some trigger points in my forearms. Since I started treating them I am having less thumb and wrist pain, so yes I think it is helping. I am working on learning more of my trigger points and just got a Thera cane to help me work on my back. I just started working on my neck too.

Thank you for the information - this will give me some tools to reduce the pain

By the way willow, the manual does discuss how the massage techniques may need to be changed for fibromyalgia. They suggest light brushing of the trigger point with a soft bath brush in a warm shower, eventually working up to "feather light" message.

that's fantastic dk! litttle victories. thera canes are da bomb too i tried one at my brothers and it felt oh so good. i'm thinking about gifting myself one.

I've done the therapy and the trigger point injections for 10 years, near the end of 10 years the injections started putting me into flares. I could no longer tolerate the injections, I was getting 30 to 40 injections once a month. I stopped all injections for a year, and I felt better, less flares. Then my legs went numb for a several days followed by intense pain from my lower back to my feet. I have now restarted trigger point injections and therapy on my legs, feet, lower back and butt, I have bursitis in my hips, piriformis syndrome and rls on top of fibro...ugh.
All I can say it yes it helps, but i can produce flares...All one can do I try.

That sounds like a really scary experience, thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear what the experiences of real people like you were with this kind of therapies. I'm in for alternative therapies, but they don't always turn out well for everyone, after reading this I won't be trying this anytime soon. Maybe I leave it as a last resort. Thanks for sharing, so helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back