Status
Not open for further replies.
My pain is more like something is fractured or like I've been hit with a baseball bat. Two nights ago I was thinking of going to the hospital for some kind of injection, but I new I wouldn't be able to sit in the waiting room for a long time. Here in Canada the Hospital has a waiting room that you could be there for hours and hours. I am actually looking forward to my MRI so hopefully they can tell me what the heck is the problem with my back.
Hi it's Lainee, here in kitchener, canada. It's hard to get someone to sit up and notice here. Have you been diagnosed with anything?

Hi ladies, well I wrote a whole book here but then I accidentally erased it! Don't you hate that!? When I mostly wanted to say tonight is to fill you guys in that my new pain management doctor decided to try to put me on the next opiates which is OxyContin 10 mg extended release and after two days of trying that I said no way, no thank you. I do not like the side effects of opiates. Or the physical dependence! I weaned myself off a few days ago and I surprisingly feel pretty good! Yes I worry that I might need something at some time. But you know what I'll ask for it then. I think I was experiencing hyperalgesia from the opiates. It seemed to heighten my pain and my moods were erratic. I'd rather use capsaizin cream, hot showers, baths, Tylenol and occasional NSAIDS. Yes I have good days and bad days, and I'm lucky to not be working right now, but I know the opiates also made me not want to exercise. I've been trying to research my back pain and I know that not exercising will only make things worse. I too am worried about more muscle atrophy and I know not having strong core muscles in my stomach area is contributing to my lower back pain. For me, I'd rather try adding the antidepressant Abilify again, to help with pain because it actually did seem to help. My only worry is weight gain because it seems the timethat I was taking it before, is when I gained an extra 20 to 30 pounds. I'm a very small woman, 5'1" tall and I know this extra weight as well as lack of strength is not helping. There's some aqua physical therapy nearby that I think I'll have the doctor refer me to.

Lainee, thank you for the advice on the Rheumy. I'll make sure they know fibro. Since 2003 (before doctors knew much about fibro in my area) they've said I have myofascial pain in my upper/mid back. But I feel it these days on both sides. :-(. It originated on the right side. I used to do shoe sales in the mall. The work comp doct or diagnosed me with cervical radicularpathy and saw a herniated disc on an MRI at my C-6. It creates pain down my right arm and numbness and tingling in my hand. I take Gabapentin at night bevause I'd get burning pain when I'd lie down and couldn't sleep. I used to do the whole Gabapentin 3x a day up to 2400 mg but I cut back since one of that med's side effects is weight gain as well. So I take one huge 800mg pill at night. I'm not sure that's doing much for me. Lol, I plan to ask my doctor if I should wean off to see what my pain level is without it or, if I should take it three times a day again. I made a psych appointment too in a couple weeks regarding the abilify. I take Lexapro 10mg (morning) and 25mg Nortriptyline at night. Since starting the nortripyline my ibs issues are back. :-(. So... We will see. I will keep you guys posted! And i'm here for all of you for emotional support or questions anytime.

hayy sunny :D yeah ive been fighting to get an mri but my doctors just take me as a joke and a hypochondriac. I know I have a bad disc because I can barely get out of bed and it developed into fibromyalgia. I have weak arms and tingling and numbness. I get electrical shocks everytime I bend my back and the only thing thats giving me any relief is yoga which coincidentally has to do with herniated dis type of yoga.

Ah yes, I get the same pain! What's sad is, even with the imagining tests, they don't agree on what treatment works, if any. :-( and surgery is a crap shoot too. I don't want to make you feel hopeless though...we need our hope! Find other doctors or hospitals until someone listens to you. But also think hard about what you want. Write down your questions. Do you want narcotic pain relievers? If so, do your research on the side effects. I find my pain is very bad, but manageable if I keep doing yoga/exercise, take antidepressants, and use a heating pad and ice pack other times. It's all a very personal decision. Have you tried a referral to physical therapy? It was temporary, but I found that helped my lower back herniated disc the most. Another doctor idea is finding a neurologist? You may need a referral for him/her too, depending on your insurance. I think it's really cool you are doing yoga when you can! What type of yoga did you find you like?

Wow so many with back pain. Make u wonder if our prob are our backs. Anyway I get it around the ribs and wraps around my back.i tell u this it hurts to breath. Some times if I've had a bad cough the muscles in between will pull and I can't move for pain. I then need muscle relaxants for weeks.

My back hurts all the time. Lately at night when I am trying to go to bed it feels like its on fire and I got a real bad sun burn on it

Hi,

Yes - Upper back and lower back are worst for me. Shoulder Blades are always tight and knotted. I find going to a chiropract keeps me going. It's the muscle tension from fibro - the nerves don't allow your muscles to relax at all. I am going to a new chiro now and find she is the best I've been to. She simple used the small metal gun that clicks down on the areas needed to adjust - Works great and I don't have to suffer thru trying to get manually manipulated which doesn't work well for me. I know the adjustment is coming and I would always tense up making it worse. Now with the new gal I go to and the gun she uses on me, The adjustments all seem to work and I have no muscle pain like I used to from getting the hands on manipulation. Also she puts the electrodes on worst spots after and hot packs and I lay and relax for another 15 minutes. Sure helps. Just doesn't stay as the fibro will continually pull everything out of place again. It's simply maintenance and the stiff, aching muscles will never go away until the fibro goes away. Sad but true.

I also have one of the back massager seats at home that you set in a chair and that really helps a lot - (Shiatsu and rollers with heat,) also use a neck brace sporadically whenever it is really hurting as the soft neckbrace I use allows the muscles to relax which relieves the pain. I also use the icy-hot cream on really bad spots alot and it does help to relax the muscles. Stretchers and walking helps me a lot.

Hope you are able to get some reliefand that some this might be of help to you. Everybody's body is so different and found I had to try a lot of things until I found what would work for me.

Cat

Your symptoms sound so similar to mine. I found out that I have arthritis throughout my spine, along with bone spurs in my neck, degenerative disc disease and bulging discs. Muscle relaxers to help when the spasms intensify. I'm always in pain, but I have vicodin when it becomes intolerable. One of you mentioned Epsom salt baths. Try adding baking soda as well. It helps to pull the toxins out and seems to add a bit more relief. (My tub is filling as we speak!) I have found being off a blessing for these pains because the pain intensifies when I'm up and walking or sitting in a more rigid chair.

An MRI will help them to determine whether there are pinched nerves or other damage. X-rays help to determine if there is any arthritis. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope you can find some answers. As long as you are able, continue to move and keep your core strong. I didn't and my pain wraps around my stomach and the muscles against my hip bones are always irritated and in pain as well....I still believe I can do it, but have to get past some significant fatigue first. I have faith though. Hang in there....Gentle hugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back