DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
UK
State
Hampshire
Hello all!

I've been on Amitriptyline for my pain and sleeping issues for five or six years now, and I've recently come down with the worst cold I've had in years. I brought some decongestants but found that you can't take them with Amitriptyline! Due to the Phenylephrine in them (and maybe the caffeine also?)

Does anyone have any advice or solutions to this issue? I think all decongestants contain phenylephrine, I'm currently using a nasal inhaler... Olbas brand, but it's not working super well, and it's really difficult to breathe right now, my nose and throat are so clogged with mucus...

Anyone in a similar situation or have any advice?

Have you considered using a neti pot? Look it up online and check with your doc or pharmacist. I use one and it works pretty well. No meds involved at all.

Being you are in a cold, it will just have to take it's course...fresh lemons are good to use during a cold. There are other cold remedies, higher dosing of Vit C, homeopathic cold remedies just a couple. There is a supp called Cold Calm but I haven't used it in many years.

Personally, I have not had a cold or flu in mega years. I've been taking pycnogenol and or grape seed extract for going on 20 yrs soon. (These are called OPC's) This supp has been a miracle in my overall health. Keeping immune system strong. If a person is taking blood thinner drugs, then can't take both.

If and when I feel something could be coming on, I hit my body with Echineaca, 2 caps every couple hrs for a day or so and it knocks out a cold before it hits me. Hope you can feel better soon.

PS: In case you are not familiar with the powerful OPC's I mentioned above, these come to us from France and have been in that country for maybe 50 yrs or so, we got them here in the U.S. in 1994 or so.

Last edited:
I'm very lucky I hardly ever have colds. I can go years, don't ask me why I don't no. But my family do and I always use Vicks rub , stream in a bowl with a towel over your head for 20 mins with help the blocked up feeling. I to take amitripoline ,but I don't find it does much for me anymore so I'm coming of it.what about night nurse. Have u looked to see if u can take that.as I see your in the uk to.
What u could do is leave off the amitripoline for a few nights maybe ?. Just to get some sleep hope u feel better soon. Btw u could ring boots or Lloyds up and ask there good like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back