Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
maine
Hello all! I have been being aggressively treated for Rheumatoid Arthritis for two yrs. All treatments helped my all over joint and muscle pain at all. To shorten the story, I went to a new Rheumatologist because my own had retired. After going over my case and doing a physical exam, she told me she didnt think i have RA and she is pretty sure i have Fibromyalgia. The past month or so my usual pain has intensified and my flu type symptoms are worse... hence a fibro flare. My family are happy i may not have RA and that fibro doesnt erode your joints. I however, am kind of depressed over the new diagnosis. I have started on gabapentin, and it is making me tired, dizzy and hungry... possibly on the last one. Some literature says gabapentin will help, others say not so much. Should i push thru the side effects and continue to take it? not sure what to think or do...M PS... I am a registered nurse and i have done my homework... but feel it is much better to ask someone who is walking this walk than to read articles... M

So sorry no one has welcomed you... you must be disillusioned already! I am sorry for your diagnosis both are horrible conditions although your family are right there is no joint damage as such although it feels like there is!

Does the gabapentin help your pain enough for you to give it a chance for the side affects to reduce?

I haven't taken this drug so its hard for me to comment but you hae to listen to your own body ...perhaps give it a bit longer and see how it reduces the pain versus the side affects.

There are lots of other drugs and sometimes its a case of trial and error.

Have a read around this site or put up a post headed up Gabapentin and hopefully you will get more replies from people who take it or have tried it.

Please stay on here ...it is so unlucky and unusual no one replied to you more quickly. Take Care

Welcome to the forum. I have been taking Gabapentin for a few months now. While it does hel with the pain a little I have been gaining weight like crazy. I'm not sure if its the medicine or something else I'm doing. I am actually getting ready to talk to my neuro doctor about it. I don't have much information for you just wanted to let you know your know alone. Please if you find more information I would love the share. I have been doing so much research on it and I'm at a loss. Hope your day is going ok.

Gentle hugs-

Brandy

I have taken Gabapentin, with my first initial flare 10 years ago but I took it as part of a cocktail. I took 3x300mg Gabapentin 3x day, 3x25mgT3 3x day, 1 5mg hydromorph 3x day. Then I had my night medication which includes sleeping meds. This cocktail worked for years...and in fact it eventually put me into remission. Last year I flared again and again I was put on the same cocktail but to my and the doctors shock and amazement it didn't work. So...perhaps you need to look at taking the Gabapentin as part of a cocktail. I sure hope it provides you with some much needed relief. Thinking about you...

Hi there, I am newly diagnosed in Jan 16 and was put on gabapentin 3 weeks ago and as of this week increased it to 300mg 3 times daily as well as 400mg of tramadol and 2000mg of paracetamol. I have felt a little benefit but had a bad day today feeling extremely fatigued and usual pains in arms neck shoulders lower back migraine and hips. I think I will continue with this for a few more weeks and then go back to my GP. So good to speak with people on here makes me feel connected instead of segregated. I have issues with work been off since October when I was first rushed into hospital with awful pains and now I am going through dismissal procedures at work as they state they cannot support my absence any longer which is making me very stressed as I am a single mum with 2 children and currently have rented housing but scared about losing my job and no one to talk to about this as don't want to stress my family out. Tia xxx

Hi Deanma!
I'm brand new too.
Looking forward to getting to know you better!
LeAnnh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back