Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2017
Country
UK
State
Cornwall
Hi wondering if anybody else is currently taking Gabapentin for Fibromayalgia and what side effects you may have. I'm struggling with a side effect which feels like electric shocks all over my body and feeling very faint has anybody else experienced this?

I start taking it but my tongue was numb all the times so my rheumatologist decided to change it for prozac

Hi Zolly,

Yes recently went off of it about 3 weeks ago.
In the beginning I though it was helping,but it eventually lost its effectiveness for me. I also noticed that I was having increased leg pains and memory lapses.So I decided to slowly decrease it and stop it.You should never stop the medication suddenly,but discuss with your dr how he wants u to decrease it.

But a lot of people find it works great for Fibro and nerve pain. I find myself evaluating my medications every year to see if they are really helpful.If I can find a better replacement,then I do.

Unfortunately our bodies are all different,and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

Sagey

I am currently taking it. My doctor prescribed it for me to take three times a day but I cannot take it in the daytime at all because it makes me feel sleepy and woozy. I take it at bedtime, and so far over a month I have had no side effects and it does seem to help me to sleep better, as it cuts down on the number of times I wake up in pain during the night.
I suggest that if any medication gives you weird side effects you should stop taking it immediately.

I tried it a couple of years ago when I was first diagnosed. I had to take a large dose in order to feel its nerve pain relief effects, but the side effects were horrific. I was shaking (could hardly walk straights, my hands could not hold things etc), having electric shocks and feeling faint at the most unexpected moments. I tried it for 9 months and had to decide to give it up.

So yes, the side effects you are mentioning seem to be similar to mine. It is up to you to decide whether these side effects are worth the pain relief you get from gabapentin. Each person's reaction is different, so it is always a good idea to give every medication a fair chance and a fair try-out.

Thank you for replying.. I think I will stop taking it I was really hoping for something better from this one as nothing else has seemed to work at all for me.. :(

I also tried Gabapentin and side effects are terrible. I even went on Sulindac or Clinoril which is an older medicine and had knots come up on my head in several spots, as if I had bumped my head, which I had not! Scary Stuff those side effects!

Links Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyrica and cymbalta were( POISON to me)
. All side effects you could think of. Weight gain, dry mouth , dissyness, falling, speach studdering, biteing inside mouth at night, blisters in mouth, tremors, nightmares. Those are the ones (I remember).
At least you found out right away.

How are you doing Zolly...have you tried any other medication or giving your body a rest after trying the gabby?

I've tried both lyrica and gapapentin. Lyrica helped for about 2 weeks but lost its effectiveness after that and gabapentin didn't help at all.

Good luck and hope you find something that works for you. There is a lot of trial and error involved.

I'm actually on gabapentin right now it helps a little but I too have to take it at night only because it keeps me woozy and sleeping but I still find it hard to get up in the morning. Is anybody on pain medication ? Wanted to know if anybody had any other medications that help with body pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back