Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
ES
State
Madrid
When you have pain, you hardly think of your posture when everything cramps up and all you feel like doing is lie down. But over the years I found that, despite of the extreme discomfort, I still need to pay a lot of attention to sitting and walking straight, as I get more pain if I just "crumple up" on my couch, or walk around with my shoulders hanging down.
How about you?

I like to wear a steel boned corset to help with posture and back pain, also they look very pretty :)

I like to wear a steel boned corset to help with posture and back pain, also they look very pretty :)

Oh really? I am being told that wearing a corset might not be such a good idea as your body will get used to the support and might cause certain muscles to get weak. I researched it and asked for medical advice about it, and it was not recommended to me.
But I guess all cases are different, and we all have different needs.

I don't wear it 23/7. It's true that wearing a corset can atrophy muscles but only for people doing rigorous training that wear it 23/7. I typically wear it 4-6 hours a day. Plenty of people wear corsets and their muscles are fine, there are even some very athletic people in the corset community.

I try to walk as straight as possible, because slouching doesn't help at all. Plus, I really don't want to have a humpy back when I get older, lol. I wore special bras for a while to get some help in that department. It helped me a lot! The results didn't last so long, because the slouching habit came back, guess I need to wear those bras again.

So I replied to this before but it seems i did something wrong and the reply was moderated. It's true that corsets can cause muscle atrophy but this is usually only in people that wear them to "waist train" (make their waist smaller) 23/7. Wearing it regularly, even everyday, shouldn't cause your muscles to weaken. On the secretory community there are some very athletic people that do strength and resistance training. It's a myth that wearing corsets will weaken your muscles to the point where you can't even stand without it. The myth originated in Victorian times because back then they would put corsets on pre pubescent girls and they would never develop their muscles correctly. So they did need the corset for support. This doesn't happen to modern wearers. The corsetry community is actually pretty big and there's some good info on youtube and blogs on tumblr.

I try to sit and walk upright with proper posture without slouching. I found that at first when I am focusing on my posture, it works, but, the moment I stop concentrating on what I am doing I often go back to my slouching posture. I find that even now as I am typing this I am leaning forward towards the computer and as a result I am feeling excruciating pains in my neck and lower back region.

Have you tried wearing one of those bras that help a lot with the posture? I wore them before and started again! After a few months I was often complimented by my posture.

Yikes! I've given up wearing a bra due to sensitivity, those corsets would be like torture for me. I had a grandmother who was big on proper posture, so it's hard for me to even think about slouching. My boobs may go south, but I'm standing tall!

I don't worry about posture. I don't even give it much thought though I'm sure that my posture is very slumped especially on bad days. Posture is good because It shows how you present yourself to other people . Someone is likely to see someone who walks strength as more confident then someone who slouches at least that was what I was told.

I fractured my back in high school when I was on the wrestling team. So I have been in and out of hospitals way before our current conditions. I basicly had to train myself on how I live life. Things like getting in and out of cars, bending over to do yard work, I had to relearn to do everything in life. The proper mechanics that incorporate the back had to be relearned.

A correct posture is very important to keep the health of our bone structure, don't know if it's possible to maintain with fibro though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back