Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
OH
Help needed in Ohio. I'm having what I believe to be new onset of symptom and possible side effects from nortriptyline 60mg, now reduced to 40mg per rheumatologist. Here is a list of my other conditions; IBS since 1995, OAB since 2007 with neuro-stimulator placement 2014, RLS since 2007 I take 10mg pramipexole, TMJ since 2007, chronic headaches lasting for days at a time since adolescence, myofascial pain since adolescence I use volteran topical massage every two weeks and heat therapy and stretches, seasonal allergies I use Claritan and Fluticasone nasal spray daily, chronic vitamin d deficiency, chronic anemia.
New onset of hand and body trembling, locking up and popping of joints with pain and stiffness mainly hips and knees since September 2014, left hip bone spurs since 1995, also flair ups of swelling, pain and stiffness in left thumb from UCL tear, hair thinning over the past 2 months I literally can now see my scalp which is terrifying, thin and brittle nails since September 2014, worsening anxiety & depression. My only suggestion from my rheumatologist is to reduce my nortriptyline dose which sucks because it actually helps with the pain, headaches and morning stiffness. Little relief for fibro fog that is a daily problem. I had a reaction to Cymbalta which caused extreme urinary retention. I also use flexeril 5mg as needed, usually a couple times a month when the pain and stiffness interfere with my daily life. I'm considering looking for a 2nd opinion from a rheumatologist because I am upset that my current doctor has not asked me to come in for lab work to rule out conditions that cause thinning of hair and nails and that he has not assessed my new symptoms over the past year. I live in north-central ohio if you recommend anyone and if anyone has ever had these same side effects from nortriptyline any advise, help or recommendations are appreciated. I feel helpless in what is going on and how to move forward and to find answers. My mother also has fibromyalgia, similar symptoms but different conditions and hers is worse then mine.
:sad:

Gees! My goodness. I HOPE AND PRAYER YOU GET THE ANSWERS YOU NEED. Part of your ? Hair thinning brittle nails, I thined out and also lost hair. Sad and scary. For women, our hair is so important. Mine is slowly growing back, but my hair grows Soooo slow. I'm going to get prenatal vitamins, great amino acids, the one with folic acid.
I'm not from Ohio, but just want you to know your not alone.
One Dr. Told me, he had been told in Med. School that more Than 5 rx is to much.
But to be fair he also told me that Codeine was a generic opiod. Ya ok! Choke choke.
Just because I don't have a degree does not make me a ruddy nut.
God bless. Best of encouragement to you.

Thanks for the support its good to see that I am not alone and I hope my hair can come back, this has been the last straw for me. Call me vain but I happen to like the hair I used to have and its kind of important with me bring a girl and all. I can handle a lot and deal with a lot, but eventually the levy is going to break when the symptoms keep mounting. Obviously anti-depressants are not for me so its back to square one. I'm sure that I will eventually find the right doctor for me. Let me know if you find a good pre-natal vitamin that works for you.

dieh07, Biotin is an inexpensive supplement specifically for hair skin and nails. It takes a good 6 weeks on it to see a difference. My hairdresser highly recommends it.

Can't hurt to get a second opinion or even a third. My "pain Dr." really helps put things together for me and I let my pcp know about any updates.

I did not do so well on Cymbalta either but it was more mental; stealing my brain. I'm on Savella now after several months trying more natural stuff first. (didn't work)
Keep us updated on developments . Take care.

Been taking 5000mcg of biotin no results yet, still hopeful. My TSH levels came back normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back