amitriptyline - cymbalta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take amitriptyline. And it really helps me sleep.also it does help with nerve pain, it does make u a it sleepy until your used to it. But I take it at bed time so I sleep most of it off. Plus sleep helps pain levels .

Hi all ;-) Just thought I would say that i have been taking amitriptyline for about 20 yrs, at one point when I was really suffering I was taking 100 mg every night & then 10 mg in the morning. I then came off them slowly and gradually got a lot worse, not sleeping, irritable and in pain, cramps worse etc. so I decided with my GP that I should start them again.
Now I only take 50 mg at night about 8 pm, as someone has already suggested, its better taking them early eve as they get chance to wear off by morning and you do not feel so groggy. If I'm having a bad time I do take an extra 20 mg at night and if I dont need to do anything during the day I will take 10 mg am if I need it. I really feel I could'nt do without them now.
I do also take pregabalin 100 mg am & pm which also help a great deal with the pain. Again, I take more if in more pain. I also take quinine Sulphate to help with the cramps which I know are not that good to take & some countries they do not use them at all but as soon as I stop taking them I get hideous cramps. Have tried drinking tonic water with quinine but it tastes horrible & you do need to drink quite a lot of it. Hope this is useful to anyone trying these drugs.

I went from being a very positive person to having extremely negative thoughts. I was on it for over 6 months with no benefits. It did not help me sleep at all, made it harder. I do not react to drugs in the common way. Drugs that make most people sleepy seem to keep me awake instead.

Can you share if you have suffered any weight gain or heart issues with the amatryptiine? Taking Gabapentin but it causes swelling in my feet and ankles- painful in this summer hear.

I take both drugs 125 mg at night and tried cutting back and could not sleep the whole night. Yes if I take it at 8 pm I sleep 10-12 hours only getting up once to pee.
Cymbalta I take in the morning and puts me in a better state to deal with my day. I also take Norco three times a day along with Gabapentin three times a day. The present combination is working so that I can have a day where I can do my daily tasks. If I do anything extra I Pay For It for days. I do in the summer do water therapy at the community pool and in winter I do it at the YMCA. I find I do better if I keep moving even if it's just to walk to the other side of the house. The one issue ED and not that my partner and I at age 62 have a very active sex life but some of those Meds their side effects are ED for men.
I think also for me just being tired every day sucks big time. I worry so much about the side effects of all those Meds on my liver and the rest of my body. Had a dear friend who had MS and she took Meds for years and one day she had stomach pain and two days later she found out she had liver cancer. She only lasted a few months after the day she found out. I guess balancing the pain and Meds along with side effects is a very scary thing for all of us.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back