Not open for further replies.

Crismil

Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
OH
Has anyone tried to apply for food stamps and medicaid due to not being able to work? I just had my interview over the phone and they want me to provide proof that I don't have insurance and that I'm not working before they will help me.

I have 2 girls under 18 years old and I've been unable to work due to the pain causing me to feel dizzy, nauseous, and not being able to sit or stand too long. My brain don't work like it use too. I work at a pharmacy and I'm scared I'll kill someone. My short term memory is really bad.

I normally don't believe in collected from welfare. I've worked my butt off my whole life, but since last year the pain keeps getting worse and the meds they gave me don't help with the pain. Also, I've changed my diet and eat more fruits and veggies, because friends told me that it will help with the pain. Well it hasn't yet so I'm confused. I need help to feed my family. I don't have insurance to go see a dr anymore and I can't afford my meds so I'm screwed. :shock:

If you need the help then get it. I can not say you will feel good about it, because when I got food stamps I was really bummed out about it, but a person has to eat. As far as the medical need try to find a local clinic, sometimes areas have free clinics in certain areas. Most of them charge on a sliding scale going by your income. So if your income is 0 or close to it, your charge will be only a few dollars. I used this type of clinic in Florida, until I got health insurance. The doctors are usually nice and will help you with medications.

Eating healthy helps your over-all well being, but what helps more is less stress in your life. So if your not working and you have children to feed, your stress level has got to be high from worrying about feeding your family and having meds. Once you get some help the pain should lessen some. See if there are any local food pantries in your area. We have one at our local church that gives food out once a month. You need to show proof of income, but if it is not much, you will get some food even if your working.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

I suggest checking with your local nonprofit groups and churches or synagogues. Many of them will have programs that allow you to get food even if you are still working. The people volunteering for these organizations usually have big hearts and they will work to be sure you find some food for your family. If they have the power to bend the rules to help you out, they may do that also. Taking a cute kid or two with you when you apply would probably not hurt your chances either.

You should be able to get both food stamps and medical from your state if you have children under 18. For them also. Don't feel bad. You paid your taxes. right? That office should also be able to provide you with a list of doctors.
In a pinch, you can call 211, the united way, for anything and everything.

I was caught in the same fix as you are in, and sometimes it is hard to work your way through all the red tape to get help. But keep trying. This is why we have these kind of programs to help people.
It is not the people that actually need help dealing with an illness that is the problem, or gives this welfare programs the bad reputation, it is the people that are scamming the program that are the problem. Sadly, that makes it even harder for legitimately needy people to get help.
I found a free clinic in my area, and since I had no job and o insurance, I was eligible for their program, and was able to see their volunteer doctors. Once you are on their list, this is also something that you can show to the Medicaid people to show them that you do not have insurance.
Plus, you will have some doctors diagnosis of your illness to help with the proof that they require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back