Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Arkansas
Apprehensive about seeing Orthopedic on Monday and hearing "Nothing's wrong with you"

Let me start by introducing myself, I am a 25yr old female. I have a 6yr old son and a loving boyfriend who has been in our lives for the past 5 years.

I am an active person, I enjoy being outdoors. I work full-time, I am also pursuing a degree and do volunteer work when I have time. I also do a little bit of modeling and acting for the independent photography community in my state. I've been able to juggle my interests and responsibilities with my boyfriend's support, and I have paid close attention to my physical limits.

It wasn't until after I had my son that I started having horrible attacks, where my body felt like it was trapped in a brick cage that was crushing me. The pain would be so intense it would cause me to vomit. Three or four ER visits, and numerous CT scans, MRIs, XRays later, I still get the same answer...

"Nothing is wrong with you."

I don't have those horrible suffocating attacks anymore, but it wasn't because of any prescription or therapy. My PCP said I might have FMS and then treated me like a guinea pig, starting me out on anti-depressants, then Savella, as well as anti-inflammatories for TMJ symptoms, also Tramadol and Ritalin for adhd.
The Ritalin made me sleepy, which my PCP seemed not to believe since it's what he called an "upper", so he switched me to Vyvanse.... Which is almost too expensive to afford, but it actually does help with the concentration issues and short-term memory loss I've had. I'm afraid to ask for adderol, even though they offer generics which would be more affordable, because last time I requested a change, he switched me back to Ritalin.

Since none of the other prescriptions have provided any physical relief from the random aches and pains, and I feel like my PCP didn't take his "diagnosis" of FMS seriously, I have learned to deal with my symptoms by keeping it to myself. I can tell when I'm pushing my pain limits because I lash out at my boyfriend and son unintentionally.

Here recently, I have been experiencing such intense burning in my joints that I am having difficulty sleeping at night. It's also caused me to be more moody. The burning has been localized in both knees, but throughout the day it moves to my elbows and my right hip, up to my lower back and shoulder blades.

I saw my PCP about my knees, and he took Xrays which to me looked perfectly normal. He also said he thinks I have "runners knee" even though I feel the pain in both knees. He said since I've been dealing with the pain for over 2 years, he would refer me to an Orthopedic doctor. He also wanted to write me a prescription for anti-inflammatories, but I declined because I still have some left from the last visit. (THEY DON'T HELP!) I feel like that is his "go-to" solution for all my aches and pains, and it is very frustrating to me.

..So now I go to see an Orthopedic doctor Monday, but I almost wonder if it's worth the visit. I'm terrified that I will be told nothing is wrong with me. I know it's not all in my head. The pain is real.... What do I do if this doctor doesn't take me seriously?

Re: Apprehensive about seeing Orthopedic on Monday and hearing "Nothing's wrong with

See a rheumatologist. They are generally best at diagnosing Fibro.

Re: Apprehensive about seeing Orthopedic on Monday and hearing "Nothing's wrong with

As above post says . And maybe find a new Dr. If u read a lot of posts here u will find ppl like yourself. Dr who don't give a dam or even want to understand. I'm like I have a good Dr but that does not stop the pain. I. Sad to tell u nothing ever stops the pain 100 present.your not going mad your pain Is real and don't let any Dr tell you it isn't.

as the others said, please see a RA or neurologist. the ortho is looking at your knee not the FM. im very surprised your not on muscle relaxers. they hold the joints together. you said " burning in my joints". if you have runners knee, and the treatment is meds. why send you to ortho? save your money.

we all start out on those same medicines. For me uppers are downers. our bodies react differently to them than most folks. If he knows you've been in pain over 2 years and has you on pain meds and nerve blockers already. he/you can see they are not working for you. you need to go to Pain Management. get the meds you need that work for you. Find a new pcp!

you do have a say in your treatment plan. going back to a med you feel is not helping is nuts. you need to keep a daily log so you and your doctor can work on a treatment plan. sounds like you dont have a plan at all. you said "go to solution" he gets $$$ each time you fill that med from the manufacturer.

The places you mentioned the pain moves to, are all covered by nerves. is the pain muscle or the burning nerve pain? its your nerve rubbing on the backside of the skin.

you said " I can tell when I'm pushing my pain limits because I lash out at my boyfriend and son unintentionally." by this point its too late and hurtful to your loved ones. you need to find your triggers and avoid them. again daily log book to find those. this way you dont get to that point of hurting them.

You said "I started having horrible attacks" if you look up panic and anxiety attack you will see those symptoms. stay come and reduce stress.

Ive tried to address everything in your post. i hope is is helpful and you find your triggers. please friend me and you can private message me if you need to talk. stay well read the post what is fibromyalga to learn more.

Thanks for your advice. The pain does not feel like muscle tension, hot baths and massages provide only temporary relief. I told my PCP that I didn't want another script for the anti-inflammatories. He doesn't have me on any pain meds. I added you as a contact so we can talk more

i would love to chat with you more and see if i can help. i just wanted to give you some more information.

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Tramadol is used to treat moderate to severe pain.

The extended-release form of tramadol is for around-the-clock treatment of pain. This form of tramadol is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain.

Tramadol may also be used for purposes not listed in the medication guide.

Savella (milnacipran) affects certain chemicals in the brain called neurotransmitters. An abnormality in these chemicals is thought to be related to fibromyalgia. Savella is not used to treat depression but how it works in the body is similar to how some antidepressants work.

Savella is used to treat a chronic pain disorder called fibromyalgia.

Savella may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

the hot and then cold treatments are for the muscles and will only help for a little while.
sharp knife like pains are the nerves as well. Savella is a nerve blocker to the brain.

i hope this helps too.

I might add that there are many small things you can do to help yourself: Drink plenty of water; have your vitamin D checked if you have not already as low D is common among FMers and it can make you hurt more when low; using heating pad often helps; pace. pace!; keep a regular sleep schedule, look into supplements, often B-complex can help w/energy, or B12 injections may make a big difference; magnesium malate can help relax muscles and help anxiety; there are many things to try over time. Unfortunately everything is trial and error, but I really recommend checking the vit D, it is so important. Sometimes I use Stopain spray (Walmart, Walgreens), when my legs flare. I spray some on, let dry then spray some more ,sometimes as much as 3 times to get a real good effect. Even a little lavender in you shower/bath can help relax you. There are many tools to use besides drugs.

Thanks! I take B vitamins regularly because I've noticed it helps me be more active. I will definitely look into the Stopain for my knees, the pain hasn't eased up yet. I decided to go through with seeing the Orthopedic. Part of me is hoping the doctor will find something is actually wrong with my knees that we can take care of soon... Perhaps naive, but at this point I just want to do anything to get rid of the pain. It doesn't matter how I am positioned... Sitting, standing, laying down... It's so hard to describe the pain. It mostly feels like fire behind my kneecaps with a tingling sensation that radiates up and down my leg, and my hips have felt like a nerve is pinched, but one day its my right hip, the next day its my left.

Maybe I'm going through a denial stage... but I do appreciate everyone's comments, and I will keep everyone updated.

the right leg and left hip pains sound like when your knee is hurting you are favoring that knee and placing all your weight on the other leg and hip. try to take notice if thats whats happening.

I would be interested if they x_rayed ur hips at the same time. I had been having terrible knee pain when my fibro first flared. It was keeping me up at night. After several doctors I finally found a chiropractor who did full body xrays and found that I had a twist in my hips so my femur and tibia were not seating properly.
After 3 visits the pain was completely gone.
Not saying that's what u have...but for me....it was worth every penny.
Now if FMS were that easy! Haha.
Hope u find ur answer. Don't let any MD get u down...but don't ignore them either.
Help them help u..and if they can't.... Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back