DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
AU
State
Nsw
Hi Everyone,

Firstly i am happy to have found this forum! I have had fibromyalgia for 3 months now and was prescribed Lyrica.

Due to other medical complications in the past and having had quiet a few surgical procedures i became very sick 10yrs ago from pain killers and a variety of prescription medication to treat bladder/kidney issues.

Due to my past i had a hard time accepting fibromyalgia as i worked very hard to rid my body of medication and switch to natural treatments.

I am currently trialling yoga, Acupuncture and remedial massage once a week along with a full gluten and dairy free diet.

I have also begun taking magnesium to replace The conventional medication.

Ive hit a wall not knowing if i can conquer this with natural treatments and am contemplating beginning my prescription of Lyrica.

Is anyone on this medication? And how do you find it?.

I also wanted to know if anyone has had significant changes in their vision?

Thank you so much for reading my post.

Re: Alternate Treatmeants

Hi Angel,

I don't have any experience with Lyrica but I'm sure there's someone else that can comment that does have experience.

Please let me know your thoughts on Yoga; I'm a firm believer in exercise despite not really being a favourite for most people and myself included.

My sister went full gluten-free and dairy-free about five or six years ago. As a passive bystander it seems to have made things worse; she now has terrible reactions when she does accidentally eat gluten or dairy, her skin breaks out, her stomach gets upset, not to mention that nuisance of having to be such a selective eater. It's like avoiding all these foods has created a bigger monster than existed before, including a heightened sensitivity and allergic reaction to foods. However, there's lots of science for avoiding gluten and dairy so I keep my thoughts to myself. I'd be curious to hear what you think once you've done it for a while.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread.
I will let you know how the yoga goes... honestly im not a fan of this kind of excercise my unfortunately due to having limited energy its all i can do at the moment.

Its very interesting what you have said Re: Gluten and Dairy. unfortunately for my i am a Ceoliac so gluten is off the cards however dairy was by choice

I do wonder if by avoiding it for a long period of time i will develop a sensitivity/ allergy to it so its interesting what you say and you may be right.

As you are a sufferer of Fibromyalgia What have you found the hardest about it?

I have found great results with acupuncture especially with sleep. After only 2 sessions of acupuncture i have noticed i have been able to sleep better .. i am a little skeptical at times though so i will continue to see if it is helping or just coincidence.

I was on lyrica, It was effective, but I was gaining a tremendous amount of weight, so the doc took me off.

Vision changes? no, but I am now sensitive to light ( and sound )

I noticed the side effects of Lyrica are long and extensive. Weight gain being one that obviously we all want to avoid.

What have you found works for you?

Ive experienced alot of vision changes an issues. I have a sensitivity to light also but not affected by sound.

Non -pharm intervention, warm moist heat. Pharm intervention; oxymorphone .( this was after trying everything). It takes the edge off the pain. I use it as a last resort and very limited dosage,as I am not too fond of narcotics.

I suggest give lyrica a chance. It worked wonders, but I was gaining so much weight to the point where it was a health risk.

Hi lilangel,

Just wanted to let you know that I was on Lyrica,and I'm not sure about vision changes, but I did experience bladder problems at higher doses.So I decided to stop taking them.

I did notice it helped my pain, but when the Dr increased above 300 mg,I experienced bladder spasms and urinary retention.

So I just wanted to make u aware of that, because of your history.
If I didn't experience that side affect , I probably would have stayed on it.

Good luck
Sagey

Thanks everyone for your help and information. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Im in the honeymoon phases of lyrica. I started it in early January- 25mg. After a month I increased dose to morning and night. I am finally getting some relief from all the symptoms. Two weeks ago I also stopped all dairy, wheat, egg, soy from my diet. I think the lyrica and diet changes are balancing themselves out in regards to weight gain which s frustrating as I thought I'd lose a lot of weight eating so naturally- just meat,veggies and fruit.

Have heard very bad things about lyrica, especially that it can cause terrible depression. I would avoid it if I were you.

As for David's comment about his sister and gluten free:
This is easily explainable. I myself went gluten free a few years ago and now if I eat anything with gluten in it I feel as though I have a bad case of the stomach flu for two to three days, which is a pretty severe reaction. But that is because my body has become accustomed to being without that substance, which it turns out doesn't suit my body at all. Prior to going gluten free I was nauseous constantly (I really do mean constantly, low grade nausea 24/7/365) for years. Now I am not constantly nauseous. So it is worth it to avoid gluten, as limiting as that is.

Avoiding something that you are sensitive to does NOT "create a bigger monster". It is just that your body gets healthier and accustomed to being healthier, and has a harder time dealing with the "poison" than it did before.

Welcome. I tried Lyrica and as others have commented I started gaining weight. It also did not help with the Fibro symptoms. Regarding the vision question: yes, I have vision changes. My optometrist was unable to correct my RX. He was concerned and ordered several other vision tests and along with "floaters" which are non Fibro related nothing else showed up. He feels the reason my vision can not be corrected properly with corrective lenses is due to the Fibro. He explained that fibro affects every body system including eyes. Where the Fibro impacts is the ligaments attached to the eyes, making it more challenging for the eyes to focus. What are you experiencing with your vision?

I too have heard horrible things about Lyrica. I was put on Cymbalta and had side effects so stopped cold turkey. Went through horrific withdrawl symptoms that are still going on (4 months later) still have the zaps, skin itch, mood swings, irritability, etc. etc.... the list goes on.
Now I am experiencing terrible aching and zaps on the bottom of my heels. Trying to go natural and detox my body of all the poison meds that these doctors have tried me on.
Does anyone else experience this achiness in their heels? Any suggestions to ease it? I was told Ibuprofen and heat but they haven't been working. I can barely walk or sleep cause they are so sore.

Hi,
Lyrica helps me with the pain and some energy in the morning. 150mg a day
I have been on it for years. It does increase my hunger.
hugs,

i was on lyrica in 2008 right after all the commercials came out. I was on it for 3 months and i gained 30lbs in that time period without changing any of my eating habits. i also got no relief with my fibro. for me my effexor xr in the morning and trazadone at bedtime has been my tried and true relief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back