Anyone succesfully applied for Canadian Disability Tax Credit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoobieBrother

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
PE - Prince Edward Island
Being identified as officially 'disabled' by the CRA can substantially reduce one's taxes, depending on a litany of parameters and (deliberately ?) vague Hell-th Canada regs :evil:

Has anyone here suffering from FM/CFS/IBS applied for this status ? If so, and you actually convinced them, for the love of Pete please tell me how !! Rumours on the weeb mention some who have applied and received the appropriate blessings (tax reductions) yet I've also read that most fibro patients do not qualify. Hmm...to clarify, I am talking aboutCRA tax credits, and not disability payments from the CPP.

Thanks for reading
DB

Yes I have! My Dr wrote a wonderful letter describing my health issues. Sort of took me back when reading it in print. Took close to 4 months I think to get a confirmation letter stating I qualified. The government went back 10 years and approved me for the next 5 before reassessing my status. Few months ago received a nice rebate check in the mail for those 10 years. Finally something from this government. Canadians pretty much have to be a quadrapalegic before being recognized as having a disability needing financial assistance.

Thanks muchly MedicMurphy, you've given me hope to apply - sure could use the tax savings!

No kidding DoobieBrother. I haven't been able to work in 6 years so the whole financial burden is on my husband. I'm used to earning a good income and now I feel like a burden so any tax savings is much appreciated. Make sure your Dr writes a very thorough and well documented letter about ALL your medical issues dating as far back as possible from when you first became ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back