Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
KYA
State
Central
Fibromyalgia patients are inundated with constant spasms of pain and the temptation to exclusively rely on medication is great. A variety of pain management techniques are available. Massage is one of them. Deep massage is the most effective though FM is a challenge to patients due to allodynia. Deep breathing also helps in stress reduction which has a direct bearing on pain. A very effective method is biofeedback which is the monitoring of the bodies' physiological mechanisms like temperature and pulse rate. This gives a clue as to the causative factors. An electromyogram is used to measure muscle shortening in real time to monitor pain impulses.

That is interesting, but you should consider that some people's FM is so bad most days that they can't even stand to be touched. Some people hurt really bad, so massage is not an option for them. But deep breathing is something great actually, I've been practicing it and it has helped me a lot with the stress. Which is great because stress makes my pain worse.

Fibromyalgia patients are inundated with constant spasms of pain and the temptation to exclusively rely on medication is great. A variety of pain management techniques are available. Massage is one of them. Deep massage is the most effective though FM is a challenge to patients due to allodynia. Deep breathing also helps in stress reduction which has a direct bearing on pain. A very effective method is biofeedback which is the monitoring of the bodies' physiological mechanisms like temperature and pulse rate. This gives a clue as to the causative factors. An electromyogram is used to measure muscle shortening in real time to monitor pain impulses.

I agree that massage therapy is one of the best treatment for treating fibromyalgia pain. My fibro was diagnosed 6 months ago and the first 3 months I had tried several methods to get rid of the pain, but nothing worked and later as per the advice of my mom, I got massage therapy with the help of an expert physiotherapist in dynamic physiotherapy, Burlington. It is really helping me to get a relief from the pain. Massage therapy is also good for treating headache, anxiety, depression,etc. Following proper diet and exercises will also help you to get better recovery.

Massage therapy is certainly the best, it's not cheap, but it does provide more life quality.

To help me with my pain management, I am currently taking Cymbalta with my pain medicine Naproxen 500MG. Now that is the pharmaceutical side of my journey of course. I have started looking into Reiki and Energy Medicine to really help me cope with my Fibromyalgia pain. I am willing to incorporate more natural, alternative methods in order to help me because I am not trying to get used to always taking pills for relief.

I got scolded by my massage person because she barely touched me and I would cringe in pain. I went to a Chiropractor and he hurt my ribcage bad trying to put my back in. Next idea?

Yeah, that can happen too, we need to be lucky with the person who is massaging us.

I tried massage. She was very gentle and she focused on my foot that has neuromas in it and is very painful. She did a little on my lower back. My foot did feel better but within a day or so the pain was back. I would like one that is a little more in depth but I am scared it will hurt.

I tried massage once. It really hurts. It might works for certain person but not for me.

As with most treatments, massage works for some, but not for others. And, as mentioned, it can be expensive. Also, what works at one point for a particular person, may not always work. That's why it's important to have a 'bag of tricks', so that if one doesn't work, you can try another. Keep trying different things until you find some (not one) that work for you. I don't have a problem with people using medication, but I think it's best kept to a minimum, and used in conjunction with other treatments. I have some prescription medication here that I use on occasion.

I primarily treat with over the counter pain medicine and stretching, rest, breathing techniques, and distraction. Sometimes those don't work, though, and I have to sort of jump start my system with a walk, a hot bath, medication, or a combination of those techniques. Also, I've been to different massage therapists over the years, and some have a better understanding of how to touch a person who has chronic conditions, so it might be a good idea to talk to the therapist ahead of time, or look for reviews/feedback on the person's technique before scheduling an appointment.

Managing pain is vital as all we can do here is deal with the symptoms.

I've also been told to try yoga. Of course, it would be something meant for a person's better days but the stretching and just being active is supposed to help. I have yet to try it myself but I've been meaning to. I figured it can't hurt to do it on my good days.

There are quite a few solutions, anyone tried ice baths?

I haven't tried ice baths, but I do often tell a friend that if money was no object, I would have a hot tub and a tub filled with ice next to one another, so I could alternate the two on my worst days. Some days it seems nothing would help other than to numb myself physically, which of course would be the purpose of the ice bath, and heat also helps soothe me when my body is aching.

An ice bath for me causes horrible back spasms. In a pool it needs to be 80* or more or the same thing happens. This is aside of the FM. How many have 'just' FM? All the people I know have more than that going on--if that wasn't enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back