Shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have shakes and when I saw my neurologist he prescribed for me propranolol 10mg. If I don't take my med I shake terribly, mostly in my hands I feel it.

I used to get the shakes to the point I couldn't talk. In my case it was due to hypoglycemia. I found that lowering my glycemic load provided a dose-response relationship. I eventually cured this symptom completely by eliminating carbs and adopting a ketogenic diet.

I shake (among other things) when I have low blood sugar. Perhaps you can do some grazing throughout the day to help prevent that. A banana w/ peanut butter, apple and cheese, veggies and hummus etc I tend to eat 5-6 times a day (3 small meals/ 2-3 snacks) when I am well enough to move and when I am too ill, I notice a spike in the shaking, mood swings etc.

Maybe you can give it a whirl and see how you do.

Tip - you will need to experiment if you think the issue is food ... everyone reacts differently to food. My nutritionist also recommended grazing but surprisingly, this made my condition worse.

My hands shake terribly...it started happening about 8 years ago in my 20's. It might have something to do with my nerves and it's spread down to my right foot the shakes violently when the pain/spasms happen. I often use to drop things...I would get a shock like feeling in my hands and my hand would release whatever I was holding. Probably why there is no glass cups in my house only plastic. I've taken anti-seizure meds to try and fix it but they didn't do anything. I was told it also might be genetic...I was thinking 'yeah maybe if I'm 80' when the doc told me this but who knows. Also when I've very weak they shake. I never considered a possible blood sugar connection. But, I've had mine tested quit a few times and it's always been normal. They haven't gotten worse, just a bit better since I've been eating better.

Spot checking blood sugar is really unreliable. I went through that with my doc too. The only way I spotted mine was by testing every 10 minutes after meals with blood sugar strips. It would rise rapidly within 20 minutes then aggressively crash ... normal is a slow rise over hours. The condition has many names including reactive hypoglycemia, alimentary hypoglycemia, and dumping syndrome. The rapid rise in blood sugar causes a counter regulatory response by releasing a high amount of insulin. Insulin drives blood sugar down by putting it into storage. In this case too much insulin is released and your blood sugar drops too low causing symptoms. It's the speed of the drop as much as the actual number btw. I had a tremor for years even before I got sick ... which also went away once my blood sugar came under control.

My dad has essential tremors .but he get so bad he can move.his a big guy ,and I don't mean fat.so when he stats shaking the whole chair goes with him.the. Meds they give him he hate so won't take. Hay ho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back