Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Can anyone tell me the difference between a dismissal and a denial when going before a ALJ?

The two main reasons for a dismissal at a SS disability hearing is abandonment (claimant did not appear at the hearing) and withdrawal (claimant withdrew the hearing request). A denial is a judgement made after a hearing takes place and the judge decides not to approve benefits to the claimant.

Check out this SSA link for a full list of dismissal reasons:
A-07-10-21049 - Alternate Format

I hope you will not dwell too much on a "judges approval ratings" and things that are beyond your control. :) Rather, concentrate your energies on making sure you and your lawyer have built up a strong case. All the best!

Hi Krista,

The two main reasons for a dismissal is abandonment (claimant did not appear at the hearing) and withdrawal (claimant withdrew the hearing request).

A denial is a judgement made by the ALJ after a hearing takes place where he/she does not approve you receiving SS disability benefits.

[OOPS! I originally posted a url to a Social Security Administration web page. My apologies to the moderators. Please PM me if you are interested in the source of this info].

I hope you aren’t dwelling too much on a judge's approval ratings. :) Rather, I suggest you concentrate your energies on making sure you and your lawyer have built up a strong case. Take care and wishing you the best!

Thanks, your answer was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back