Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
FL
Hi, this is my first time here. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia my junior year in college right before I turned 20 I think. I'd been experiencing pain since high school but since I was always a dancer I always attributed it to pushing too hard in dance or being sore from practice. It wasn't until the all over pain, and tender points started showing up and started slowing me down from dance did I start getting concerned. Then the fatigue. I was in college and working so it was hard to find a doctor who would take me seriously, but after being sent from the hospital where I worked to the ER from almost collapsing in the office did they start taking me seriously after two previous ER visits. Thats when I saw a rheumatologist and he did diagnose me with fibromyalgia. I was devastated because I knew that was the end of my ballet dancing. At 21. It was a difficult year that followed because I graduated in December after seeing several more doctors after trying almost every pain medicine that was out there (antiinflammatory and Lyrica which I had a severely bad reaction to) which didn't work, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so I was placed on even more medication. After that I relocated back to my hometown where the hunt for a doctor began again. Eventually after about four years (including a visit to Mayo Clinic) I found a doctor who would prescribe pain medication. In the past two or three years I have had to have been on every pain med there is. I have been a fan of none of them. After my last trip to the hospital last month (for both mental health and fibromyalgia related reasons---I was in a bad flare up and was depressed, I'm sure we've all been there at some point) I begged them to take me off the pain meds and put me on something else, anything else. So they prescribed Gabapentin. It doesn't take the pain away completely, but neither did the pain meds. At least I can stay awake and feel like myself. So that's where I am right now. Kind of back to square one again trying to figure out how to manage everything and figure out where to go with life. I am on disability so that helps a little. If anyone has any tips, advice, or knows any ideas for careers, jobs or how to manage having one please do share. I would like to work again one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back