Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2015
Country
US
State
SC
I am only 24 but my fibro is debilitating 90% of the time. I own an organic cleaning company but that is very hard on my body. My hands have started locking up while trying to clean, I find myself sweating so much I'm dripping sweat onto what I'm cleaning, I also have to sit down sometimes.
What are the steps and requirements to apply for disability? I also have a endocrine disorder which causes me lots of pain as well.
Also what can I do to get a handicap parking pass? It would be awesome to not limp all the way from the back of the parking lot to the front of the store.
I know I can google most of this but I would like to hear how some of you obtained disability.

Thank you!

Hi! I received my disability in 2013 after about a 2 year struggle. I nearly lost my home and we used up all our pensions and 401(k) in that time period. I filed my application in June of 2011 and received approval in January of 2013. Everyone's journey is different and we all different travels down this path.

You can begin your application online (The United States Social Security Administration, then select "Apply For Disability") and then just follow the prompts for the required information to get started. My personal advice is to seek out an attorney that specializes in SSA Disability cases but most of them will not take on a case until your first denial. 99% of people get denied on their first try but just keep appealing. Never give up. Once you receive your denial, take it to an attorney that will help you with your appeal. It is a long, long process and can be very depressing. However, depending on your conditions and extent of your medical history, it has been known to only take months. This is not the norm but it is very possible. :)

As for the parking placard, you may have to google "handicap parking permit" for your state to get the application, or go to your DMV, and fill out your portion. There is a portion for your doctor to fill in as well. Once that is done, you take it to your DMV office and they will get you your placard or license plate. :)

Good luck! :)

Be prepared to wait a long time. Two years or more. I have been denied twice. I first filed in May of 2014 and I am still waiting. I have an attorney now but he said the wait could be as much as another year. So if you are willing to fight the fight then go for it. The waiting is very depressing but there's nothing you can do about it. Good luck. I wish you well.

Oh! I can't even imagine trying to do your job with fibromyalgia. I too have wondered about asking my doc for a handicap parking pass. My mom has one for her arthritis and I'm sure her doc helped her to get it.

Thank you so much lkscales! I will get on it! I've had a flare up for 6 days now... How to hold up a job with this?
Yes, Getemgirl it's hard being a housekeeper but for the most part I make my own hours but it's still very hard. I don't know
What kind of job would be better.... I've considered going to my fav beach and opening up a bed and breakfast lol dare to dream!

Thank you Krista! I'm so sorry you've been denied twice! I hope you can get the help you need soon!

I started my application in 2013 after 2 spinal surgeries. After I was denied, I was diagnosed with fibro. After trying to ignore it and force myself to work through the pain for a few years, I realized it was suicide. Now I'm living with so much more pain than I started with. Applied a second time earlier this year. Was denied again. I'm in the appeal process. It's definitely not easy, it's very, very frustrating. As it should, or everyone will be on it. But it's just oh so very hard and like others said, depressing. I keep telling myself patience, persistence, keep hope, because what's the alternative?

Good luck.

You are most welcome Hippiechick91! :)

Get an attorney right out of the gate. I did and they usually will not take a case if they think it is not eventually winnable. They make no money if you don't win. I filed in September and I am waiting but I figured my chances are better with an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back