Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MI
Hi, I had this pain 3 years ago. It was a mystery to me. I even started googling symptoms and actually believed I had throat cancer. It was a strange pain. It wasn't like a sore throat, it was more like the throat itself hurt, also, upper esophagus, and jaw...all on the left side. I finally went to the doctor (Urgent Care), once I mustered up the courage. He sent me home with Xanax, saying it was all nerve-related pain. Plus, the fear of having throat cancer was enough to keep me clenching my jaw all night...and that led to the rest of the pain that was probably the main source right from the start. Just goes to show ya, NEVER underestimate the power of nerves! Just thought I'd share. :eek: Good Luck all.

Thanks for sharing, I tend to think the worst when I experience a new pain. It's amazing what our minds can do! I swear when I think I feel some pain in x place I start getting it stronger!

I haven't heard of giving Xanax for Fibromyalgia. It sounds as if the doctor was confusing the two meanings of "nerves."

Xanax is a minor tranquilizer, generally used for anxiety, and although you may have been anxious, your pain was probably not due to anxiety, but it could be true nerve pain (as in the physical nerves in your body).

It is generally thought that people with Fibromyalgia have overactive pain impulses that get stuck in the firing mode. I have actually had this same pain myself, and I usually find that anti inflammatory medication helps taken along with some pain medication (I take Tramadol and two 200 mg. Ibuprophen). I also find that putting a cold pack on the area that's flared up and sleeping for a few hours like that helps get it under control. You might want to talk to your doctor to see whether he thinks that combination would be worth a try. I like this combination because it doesn't cloud my thinking, and the sleep and cold packs help my body to resolve the flare in a relatively natural and safe way.

I also have pain in my throat. In fact, my throat feels like it is closing much of the time. My cricopharyngeal muscles spasm too. This all leads to very uncomfortable throat pain that varies from day to day. I also get wheezing and coughing after I eat. I am now exploring a paleo diet and an elimination of histamine foods in an effort to get rid of this throat pain. I take DAO enzymes now too. I did a severe elimination diet in 2009 and did have 2 weeks pain free, so diet is probably really important for fibro. It is just hard to know what to put back after the elimination. I have had chronic pain since 2003, but it was waist down. Now it is all over and I am on LTD. Can anyone relate to this?

Could also possibly be TMJ. I have that along with fibro and all the rest. I'll get pain in both jaws, and also pain and weakness in throat at times. sometimes will feel like it is an effort to talk as - hard to explain - but muscles just feel really weak and funny. I've had lot of work on my bite, braces, and now have bridgework to align my bite which helps. I do have permanent joint damage so I still have lots of facial pain which my fibro plays on also.

Cat

Giftbearer that's why he give her Xanax , because she's getting anxiety and clenching her teeth and that was giving her jaw pain.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back