Other
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
NY
Hi All,

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after working full time ,and going to school.My body became severely weak and I hurt in every muscle in my body.I've always been a hard worker and often pushed myself to the limit.I guess they would call that a type A personality.

I never wanted to fail ,although we know in life that isn't always possible.

How many of you feel you have always been that way since a child??

Sagey

I would say i was a type A too....hard work until my body gave up and even more high expectations of myself in everything i decide to undertake right from school age..and a high level of responsibility for being a good provider and nuturer/supporter to my family..bit of a perfectionist too so maybe this is too tough on ourselves as i have read type A's often are ones who get fibro..i aspire to be more laid back but it doesnt come naturally and even less so dealing with chronic pain and the challenges that brings in daily life and relationships.

I am also a type A personality. And an introvert, and high sensitive. And have always had (severe) social anxiety. The combination of all of these have made it pretty much hell whenever I was outside of my comfort zone (aka my home!)

I am a genuine hard worker. It is not something I am proud of really, it is simply the way I am. I like to get things done, efficiently and quickly. I also can't rest when there is still a pile of work to be done. Also because of social anxiety, I have always been afraid of people and do my best to avoid interaction. 'Being genuinely busy' is the best excuse for when a colleague wants to have a chitchat or you are invited out for lunch.

And after having had 13 different jobs and having worked with many many different types of people, I saw that being a hard worker does not get you much further in life. Ideally it should, you'd think right? Sadly I witnessed time and time again that being loud is what gets you ahead = that promotion, that bonus. The quiet hard worker in the corner = me is almost always invisible - which again with my anxiety issues was perfect. Unfair, but perfect for me.

Now I am at home and I am still the same - sometimes it feels like I am in this inner competition. Get things done, more, more, more, quicker, better, now, now, now...

Pain and fatigue is mentally harder for me because I often can't help but feel 'lazy'. It is nonsense of course, but tell that to my brain!

I hear you vicky....i think loud and social or just very social and charismatic is a big part of getting ahead in work life...hard work can go un noticed if you don't 'fit in' or be in the 'in crowd'.

I wish i could help your brain let up on you :)

My brain has always been busy and over active..the kind that doesn't switch off easily even when i should be relaxing...as a child i always wanting to be doing something and if not found life 'boring' My parents tell me they stopped having children after me because i was always asking questions!!

I didn't like Sundays unless there was a family gathering as Sundays when i was a child were quiet restful days at home..i couldn't wait to get back to school and be busy and learning.

I also don't like to fail..like you Sagey.

Maybe we just wear our brains out early!!

Last edited:
Not sure I would call myself type A as I had knee bursitis from the age 14 I could never find a job in my late teenage years I could stick at as I couldn't (and still cant) stand or walk for long periods of time.

I think i,m more type A now in my early 40's as I try and do things I know I shouldn't do to try and stay as normal as I can then suffer for it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back