Reason
Practioner
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
As a licensed massage therapist I have seen many clients who have exhibited symptoms or have been diagnosed with either Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue. It has been my experience that the benefits of massage will differ at each visit dependent on the way my client feels that day. In general however there are a few things that are really important for every visit and for anyone considering massage as a part of their treatment plan.

Make sure that you communicate with your therapist and that they understand your diagnosis and how you are affected by it. Try to have a conversation with them prior to coming in for your appointment and see if you get a "good vibe". If your energies don't match, your session may not be successful.

Timing of your appointment is really important - you know your body and your "best time". Schedule sessions when you are feeling at your best - you are more likely to be on time for the appointment and be in a position to gain maximum benefit.

From my perspective as a therapist, the predominant issues presented with fibromyalgia clients are

1. Acceptance of the chronic nature of the condition
2. Constant pain
3. Depression
4. Fatigue
5. Weather related flare ups
6. Stress related flare ups

Each of these categories can be positively impacted through therapeutic touch and various modalities of massage. The relationship between the therapist and client is paramount - trust and honesty is the foundation for sessions to be successful.

Your massage sessions will provide short term relief however it is very real relief.

Swedish Massage (general light to moderate pressure full body massage will increase circulation bringing oxygenated blood to muscles and tissues as well as increasing lymphatic drainage throughout the body). This method of massage is a good introductory modality and one that can be used safely at any stage and will provide benefits both physically and psychologically.

Therapeutic Touch is a light modality of massage that focuses on grounding, relaxation and breath. It will allow a deep level of relaxation restorative for those who have disrupted sleep patterns.

Myosfacial Release is a modality often used to encourage tight constricted muscles to relax, elongate and return to their original state. This method of massage is often used with clients with fibromyalgia due to the contraction of muscle due to the disease in addition to postural causes.

Stimulation massage techniques may be used for those who are suffering the effects of chronic fatigue and mild to moderate depression. This modality is beneficial as it "wakes up" sensory neurons, however it may not be an appropriate method during a flare up if you are sensitive to touch.

Stretching & Range of Motion (ROM) With passive and active stretching techniques you will work with your therapist to open up and stretch joints and large muscle groups. Gentle passive stretches are typically easily tolerated and provide immediate relief as joints are opened up. Active and resisted stretches require the client to participate in contracting certain muscles and resisting against tension by the therapist. This modality will help to increase range of motion and muscle strength.

I know I have included a lot of information in this post so if there is anything I missed or you would like more information on, please let me know and I can address it separately.

I would love to know if this post was helpful to you and in what way. I would also love any feedback on what types of massage you have received and how it benefited you or if you had a bad experience with massage as a treatment option and why.

Thanks so much for taking the time.

Thank you for taking the time to post to the website. I am 60 years old and have used massage as part of my protocol for living with fibro. I usually get deep tissue and am sore the next day but then a few days later realize whatever area was in "lock up" as I call it, is not causing me grief.

Healing hands are much appreciated and thank you for explaining the different types of massage. In my book, they are all wonderful!

Judy

bleitnerlmt, thanks for sharing!

I don't know about other but, I am in the UK stuck in a small village, we have a doctore , dentist and shop! Anything else you have to travel miles to, pluse having a massage is classed as complimentary medicin here and cost a lot of money, living on benefits dose not leave much for this kind of thing...yes I would try it, but no I could not afford it, but it all sounds interesting, and can see how it could be of some benafit, thanks for the info.

Massage helps me immensely. I don't know what I would do without her. I have to get massages every week to control my muscle tension & migraines. It is deep tissue, and a lot of times I want to scream at her to stop & hit her! She knows this & just laughs at me because we both know that even though it's extremely painful for me, it is worth tolerating for the relief it gives me the rest of the week.

Helpful post with amazing massage health benefits. There are several massage therapies available such as Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, Thai massage, sports massage and each massage having their unique health benefits. Thanks for sharing this informative post

I started massages in my early 30's and I'm 77 this year. I've done all types and did some DEEP work over the years and even went thru rolfing. That's heavy duty work. I would not do that now.

In my later years and a lot of pain, more than ever, I can do "lighter" work only. I use a Theracane on my shoulders to break up the knots, do this for sure before I go to sleep. I live in an area with so much alternative healing workers. J

I tried a chiropractor once for upper back muscle spasms and she had this wonderful vibrating massage waterbed. I kept going back just for that 10-15 minutes of wonderfulness. I'd get one for my house in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back