Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
uk
State
oxfordshire
I am still learning how to use this kind of website, I have only just started to use fb, please let me know if im not doing it right. ;-)
Just wanted to ask if anyone who has fm also has or have had problems with bursitis?
I have bursitis in both my hips and knees and have had it since I was 16 after playing football from the age 6, I had knee operation when I was 20 but have still suffered ever since, I have read through google that the two could be linked just wondered if anyone else has bursitis in any joints?.

Don't worry about doing right or wrong here - there are wrongs here really :)))

I also suffer from bursitis (and tendinitis). Mine is in the shoulders and I have had it since I was 18. I had all kinds of treatments, months of physical therapy, injections, medication. I found that rest and icepacks/heatpads are what help me the most. Whenever I asked doctors whether there was link between this and fibro, they said that bursitis and tendinitis are 'normal' with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

The way I see, my body always had the tendency to have fibromyalgia from the start. It started showing this at an early age, as a kid my injuries always took longer to heal for example. So while a normal health body could fight off bursitis/tendinitis in any region (it is usually caused by overuse or an injury), my body just had the bad luck of 'being overly sensitive' and could not fight it off. So it just stayed there....then with all the stress of life, injuries, little bumps and bruises along the way all added up and that is when full blown fibro 'woke up'. Maybe you can relate as well, since your injuries started at a very young age as well.

Hi Girls..how do you know if its bursitis /tendonitis or fibro seizing up and pain...my fibro has changed so much i am indoors all the time and type a lot and my right arm and hand and shoulder have permanently seized up to varying degrees depending on use and very restricted movement every day..same in my knees ..how does bursitis/ tendonitis get diagnosed as for sure i am over using arm and hand as I have so little to occupy me.

I was diagnosed with bursitis in both knees when I was 14 I played a lot of football (tennis and hockey) both sacs of fluid split and I had them both removed when I was 20 then I had my special needs son at 22, that added more stress, told the sacs had burst in both hips 10 years later since then fibro came big time.

I think if bursitis is thought to be there after the fibro then docs tend to put the sensitive area down to fibro which is not always the case my bursitis started with major swelling due to the leaking fluid redness and hot to touch those are the main symptoms of bursitis although I didn't have that when my hips started.

I'm not sure if there is a link but it looks like many of us have experienced or still do experience bursitis. I had trochanteric bursitis over 5 years ago and could barely weight bear at all, it was horrendous. Now I still have tendencies towards bursitis where if I lie on my left side it is painful but not as bad as the first time I experienced it. This is also one of my most painful tender points. I think I've had fibro for quite a few years and it has only progressed enough in the last year to get a formal diagnosis.

so is there always redness and swelling that makes it clearly defined from fibro pain?

I never had either willow, just excruciating pain.

Sorry to keep asking questions so how is it diagnosed...aside from excrutiating pain how does the doctor find out its bursitis?

how does bursitis/ tendonitis get diagnosed as for sure i am over using arm and hand as I have so little to occupy me.

In my case, I had complained about intense and very sharp pain in my shoulders for YEARS. My GP and physical therapists all said it was repetitive strain injury (RSI - a very common diagnosis in the early '00) and that was that. I was simply told to use medication, exercise, rest and cold packs and it would be over. But it never went away....

15 years later, when I was in and out of the hospital recovering from a failed neck surgery, the brain surgeon said 'let's take a look inside of your shoulders' and only then, thanks to the MRI scans, my 2 decade long problem got its proper name - tendinitis and bursitis.

So I also wonder how everyone else here has been diagnosed?

I never had any tests done like an MRI, I can't remember if it was my GP or Physiotherapist who diagnosed me. They were just going on where the pain was but it could just as easily have been fibro back then as I had no swelling, only constant pain in the area and it was extremely tender to touch.

Hi Anna42,

I've had bursitis in my shoulder many years ago.
But I also had bursiti like pain in my hips and knees.
After I was diagnosed with Fibro, so I think a lot of us, experience this.

So much fun all the things we deal with.

Sagey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back