Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
PA
It always seems that I have the best intentions for getting my chores and personal needs done and yet when pain is severe I feel like I am letting myself down, as well as, my friends.
So I set up a way to help myself cope and not feel as guilty when everything can not get done like it did before fibro took over my life.

It is called the 2 to 3 thing approach that is telling myself today or tomorrow I will:
Wash my hair
Take a long bubble bath
Wash the dishes
or I will rest all day.

Next day:
I will run the sweeper
Wash clothes
Change sheets on bed
or I will rest all day.

And so on....usually my weekend leaves one day of doing nothing so I can rest up for my working weekdays. So I watch movies or read a book, or listen to online videos, nap or etc..
This way I can pick two or three things of importance that need done and then do more or less depending on my pain level or fatigue each day.

I used to plan my whole Saturday, trying to combine all my chores or errands, thinking if I get it all done in one big swoop then I can free up my days. But all I did was exhaust all my energy and have nothing left to work with.
I have found that by sticking to this plan I can do what needs to be done and put the rest away until my strength and energy return to closer to normal levels.

What works for you? Do you follow a special made up plan or just go until you drop?

I think you have best approach 1sweed ..plus i admire you are managing to work some hours a week.

I am not able to work..but like you the days of giving myself a list of jobs that must be done are long gone. I do what i can when i can. It might be very minimal...so i might only clean my ensuite sink and wash all accessories like toothbrush holder until its all gleaming....that could be all that gets achieved aside from a shower and my meals.

Another day i might change my bedding get my shower and meals...put my light sweeper around down stairs and rest in between....on a good day the kitchen floor that is wood gets a wash in stages and the cupboards wiped down....but NOT ALL lol. i might get 2 or 3 done then have to go rest on the bed and leave everything else for a week!

I used to be such a doer but at least with this little by little method my house is clean and tidy.

Hi 1Sweed,

I try to think what I can do on the way I feel after I have my coffee lol. If I'm feeling ok,and in not too much pain, I will do laundry and maybe wash dishes or clean my rooms. I usually don't have a set plan of what I do every day,but I try to get something accomplished so at least I feel good about myself.
I like my house clean and it does bother me when I can't clean.It gets frustrating at times, but then I just say to myself, "it's not the end of the world, it can get done tommorow."

I never use to be that way, I would run around all day working and cleaning. Right now I don't have enough energy to work. In my head,I really want to,but I know I would not make it through the day.I still have not given up on work.I'm hoping in the future I can find something that I'm able to do.

What ever works to get us moving is good.I notice if I stay in bed too long,my pain increases in my legs and I'm better off getting up.I still can't wake up early, like I use to for work, but I'm trying to work on waking up at a "normal" time.I feel like half the day is over, by the time I get up. It's usually around 11:30 or 12:00 and I'm embarrassed by that, but I need that extra sleep now.

i feel as long as your trying to get out of bed , it's a good thing. And if you get something accomplished or go out and have fun, then u had a great day!

Sagey

I have 1 main goal and 2 smaller goals. The objective is to get 1 thing done,and if I am able the other 2. At the very least 1 thing is accomplished. If I am having a good day, I dont push it, cause I will pay for it the next couple of days.

I just do what has to be done.
I have to. It doesn't matter how tired I am or in how much pain. The chores still need to be done and I still have to go to work so I can keep the bills paid.

There is literally no one who is going do anything for me, or help me with any of it. If I don't get it done it doesn't get done. So I do what has to be done first and then if there's any energy left over I do something that is non-essential. The result of that is that I basically never do anything that is fun or enjoyable because the essential things take up all my energy.

Thank you all for sharing. I hope other folks will tell us how they manage their daily chores. It sounds like many of you sort of plan to do something each day and if it works out that's great, if not there is always tomorrow.
I was not planning on working everyday, but a job came along just when money was low and I needed to work a bit to pay my bills. I do some cleaning at the local community center. It is not real hard as I am either pushing a broom or a tiny kitchen mop. Other people come in and help with the really hard stuff so I just go in and clean the kitchen, bathrooms, and do the laundry from fitness room. I like it because it is not cluttered and I can work at my own slow pace. Some days I am in a lot of pain but try not to let others know how bad it is.

Please keep sharing it is good to let others know it is not as important to keep everything spic and span, but mostly important to stay rested and happy and not stressed over what you can or cannot do.

I never plan my day aside from going to work. Every day I do the minimal chores like washing, sweep floors, tidy up the kitchen and get the girls ready and out to school. Some days I don't get everything done & finish it when I get home at 3pm then it's homework with the girls, wash up their packed lunch things & start dinner. My eldest daughter helps with some of this & my husband helps a bit too. On the weekend I do what I can manage like clean bathrooms. It's very rare I have the energy to anything 'extra' like cleaning windows, cleaning out cupboards etc. I could give up work & still never manage to get these things done. I wish I had a cleaner ��

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back