Cooking with fibromyalgia, what have you been eating lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a lot of food sensitivities also,so I have to be careful.
One thing I found in the store the other day was Tillapia(fish) individually wrapped in each portion packs.So u could just take one or two out instead of making it all.It was frozen,and the first time I bought it this way but it was delicious.
I seasoned it with salt,pepper,garlic powder,adobo and oregano.I cooked it in a pan with a 1/2 stick of butter for approx. 5 minutes on each side.If butter is not good,u could use olive oil to cook it in.

I added veggies to the side and I was done.Its filling and good for you.Fresh fish is always the best,but this was very good.Low in calories and healthy.

I usually have hot oatmeal for breakfast and yogurt for lunch.Pretty simple and easy.
I avoid meat as much as I can and also creams and gravies because I'm lactose intolerant.

I do cheat sometimes lol.I had a raspberry ice cream cone last night.Just was craving it! I try to follow my diet otherwise I do get digestive issues which aren't fun.

Sagey

Sagey,
Just a word to the wise: Tilapia is not a very good fish to eat. Almost all of the tilapia that is sold in the USA comes from farmed fish in China. They do not exactly have good standards for how the fish is raised, red, or handled there. Here is an example:

"At Chen Qiang’s tilapia farm in Yangjiang city in China’s Guangdong province, which borders Hong Kong, Chen feeds fish with feces from hundreds of pigs and geese. That practice is dangerous for American consumers, says Michael Doyle, director of the University of Georgia’s Center for Food Safety. “The manure the Chinese use to feed fish is frequently contaminated with microbes like salmonella,” says Doyle, who has studied foodborne diseases in China.

On a sweltering, overcast day in August, the smell of excrement is overpowering. After seeing dead fish on the surface, Chen, 45, wades barefoot into his murky pond to open a pipe that adds fresh water from a nearby canal. Exporters buy his fish to sell to U.S. companies.

Millions of people and businesses are involved in the handling and transportation of food beyond the farm gate. The vast number of food suppliers increases the challenge of disseminating standards, monitoring production, and tracing problems to their source."

Tiapia is not actually a species of fish, but a general term used to describe a whole range of different species under one umbrella term. And you never will know where your fish came from, or how it was handled.

Remember the thousands of dogs and cats who died a few years ago as a result of eating contaminated food from China? I believe that a similar thing will happen one day with human food from there. Whether or not it is deliberate, I don't know. But I won't knowingly eat food, most especially fish, that comes from there.

For fish, I will only eat wild-caught Alaska salmon, because I know that the way those fish are handled is far superior to how farmed fish are handled. Not to mention they taste a lot better.

wild Alaska salmon isn't cheap but you can get it on sale. And what I have found is that for most people, if they stop buying "food" like chips or soda or sugar or other things that have very little or no nutritive value for the money, suddenly there is more money available to buy good food.

Just FYI

That's sound delicious! I'm not a big fan of tilapia but I might try your recipe for that . For fresh water fish I love basa fish . It's so tasty without the fishy smell you can do so much with it ,even great for making fish and chips. Flesh are firm white yet soft and juicy.

You should try soy ice cream or almond ice cream ( I think they have rice ice cream too) . I love soy banana ice cream they taste even better than regular banana ice cream.

Most tilapia in US came from South America. But considering how polluted their rivers are , which that's why they decided on raising tilapia cause they very tough. Because of that they are now being raise in farm for aquaponic system to grow vegetables without soil which mean these tilapia would be very safe to eat do to no chemicals use.

A few years ago I've got curious in to growing my own herbs , but because I was living indoor apartment , I decided that I will grow aquaponic system inside my own apartment using led grow light and cycling water system in to my fish tank tocleaning my fish waste water and feeding my plants all in one . I grew a few tilapia and some fresh water prawns ( fresh water prawns are delicious ) even some crayfishes. My herbs were 4 differently types of basil, exotic chili, oregano, sage, culantro sadly not cilantro cause cilantro love dried sandy soil, chive, thyme, cherry tomatoes, water spinach which love aquaponic system so I've got to eat lots of them year round, etc.

Well do to the fact that I have to used the reflective tent to intensify the lighting with percise timer on off each day. My neighbors thought I was growing weed and reported. So sadly I had to stop.

Aquaponic tilapia is great eat , if you have Aquaponic farms in your area you should shop for your tilapia there along with some vegetables too since there's no chemicals need to grow them.

Possibly it depends on what part of the US you are in, but....
Do you know for certain that the tilapia in your area comes fro S. America? Have you thoroughly researched this, Tipnatee?

I know for a fact that all of the tilapia here, and in all the states around me, comes from China.
I also have done some research on it, and what I have found indicates that this is true for most of the country.

Yes, I base on overall in North America not just one area. If you buy tilapia close to China town you will get Chinese tilapia. But if your area mostly Hispanic communities you will get South America tilapia. It's a matter of taste, but since population of South American are much more higher than Chinese population in US. So in the political sense, which tilapia would you think are more serving and sell in US?

I did not think you were Chinese, but your recipes sound so yummy and using natural ingredients I thought you might know. Anyways I looked it up on line and found it is the favor of mushrooms in a dark soy sauce mixed with chopped onions and green pepper. Then use thin noodles or rice. Very good.

Oh no I'm not offended by it , I just thought umm spaghetti might be their fusion cooking new recipe takes on Italian dish so I wouldn't know what would they prefer as seasoning. Rice Noodles yes that is normal Chinese cooking and it's tasty with many way to cook it depending on the styles. Some with eggs some with spice or curry even. Actually Dark thick soy sauce have lots of sugar in them ( they're tasty though) , but some cook with oysters soy sauce which also very tasty and more healthy to eat more often you can substitute the sweet with 100% agave syrup , or pure honey.

I very like the recipe you found! That's is awesome. And you're right that is good taste.

Last edited:
Making dried Aged beef Steak in my fridge.

Oh yeah.. since I can't travel around do to my fibro problems. I guess best to make it my self. Anybody love grill aged steak?

I started with a cheap big clear clean plastic container that fit my fridge in the bottom shelf . Add about an inche or two layer of thick coarse salt in the bottom, then put some kind of steel like grill grid or oven rack or even use the layered of bamboo shish kabob sticks will do just fine on top of salt just enough for meat to not touching the salt directly. Then padded dried your beef steak of choice and lay them all on top of the rack. Covered the container with cheese cloth or if you have the plastic lid just poke lots of holes in to it for the breathable effects cause we don't want any moisture trap in the box. You can even do it without lid at all which would be even better actually but since you have to share the fridge with your other foods so accidentally scent or stuff can get on it, so keep them separate probably a good idea. The process is pretty easy and fast to do.

It takes about a week or more depending on the size of your beef steaks. But it should get dark and feels much more dehydrated. You can cook them in anyway you like. If you want to get more fancy you can buy a small fridge just to make your aged beef just for the best beef scented. :cool:. Yum!

Last edited:
Yes, I base on overall in North America not just one area. If you buy tilapia close to China town you will get Chinese tilapia. But if your area mostly Hispanic communities you will get South America tilapia. It's a matter of taste, but since population of South American are much more higher than Chinese population in US. So in the political sense, which tilapia would you think are more serving and sell in US?

Well, that would make sense.
But where I live there is a huge Hispanic population.
There is no "China town" anywhere within hundreds of miles.
And, as I said, I have done the research and all of the tilapia sold here comes from China.
Go figure.

The absolute non fat chicken stew.

I get absolutely no appetite sometimes because my lack to no sense of taste or smell do to my sinus and migraine problem. Fatless chicken stew is very great for these problem.

I bought a few pieces of boneless chicken thigh , a bag of fresh celery, a bag of frozen chopped onions ( or fresh), a bag of frozen mix color bell pepper ( or fresh if you want) and a small pack of cherry tomatoes.

I chopped all the celeries in to between half inches or an inches in to the pot, along with onions and mix bell peppers. Then added adobo, black pepper, Italian seasoning, a table spoon of balsamic vinegar , and 2 small packs of no flavor added gelatin powder. I added fresh water enough just to covering all the vegetables then bring them to boil and then turn down to simmer to cook the celery down enough to soften. Which at this point I just go sit down or do something else then come back to check if they soft enough. Then I cut the chicken thigh to chucky bite size first and rinse the chicken meat in warm water cause it make it easier to pick every fat in the meat clean completely one by one then in to the same pot along with the whole small packs of the fresh cherry tomatoes and turn the heat back up to boil to cook the chicken ( boiling can kill all bacteria in chicken so even if you add raw chicken later on in cooking you still need to turn to boil as soon as the chicken hit the water) chicken cook fast so you can turn back to simmering till your tomatoes soften.

The stew is ready and do to vibrant color of vegetables and meat, along with the appetizing seasoning with no fatty oil lurking on top. It's very easy to eat even when I have absolutely no appetite or no sense of taste and smell , some thing in the stew still making me hungry enough to eat it even when I can't taste all of the flavor in it. ;)

Wow Sankacola , they must be frozen like a brick coming from far away. Actually China have lots of farming spaces and much more cleaner water since it's a big country, unlike Mexico that their river polluted with pesticides from other farming and crops so many fish are contaminated . You are very lucky in your area since they're from China. If you worry about chemical that might be use during farming of tilapia, these fish don't really need it that's why they're so cheap. Only delicate farm fish need chemical or heavenly medication to provide them with good health with that high density populated space. Tilapia doesn't need any of that , they need only enough oxygen provide in their space and clean water. They can even tolerated their own toxic water from their own waste for very long period of time. There's no point in adding any chemical in to them so farming them is a low cost.

I guess Tipnatee didn't read what I posted about the fish in China being fed on bowel movements from pigs and other animals, and being kept in filthy ponds, or that the Center For Food Safety said that this fish is contaminated with salmonella and other harmful bacteria on a regular basis. Oh well, one can only try to let folks know of dangers. whether you listen or not is up to you. :)

Yes I did , but I did say that there's a aquaponic farm that sell tilapia if you worry about your tilapia . Also compared to chemical contamination, that salmonella and harmful bacteria contamination can be kill with cooking. Just like all raw chicken can contain salmonella and other bird bacteria that is harmful when eating it raw. Your article wasn't wrong . There're lots of part of the word that fish farm being kept below chicken coop feeding their poop or pig. When I was young I've seen it done in that part of the word on their mess produced animal farming. My uncle is a food scientist so it was fun to witnessed the all full ego system farming and the mess production type. In China they don't raise large pig like in other parts of the world cause babies pig fetched good price and it taste sweeter so they fed their pig baby food and grains . Their food smell like milk powder and they kept much cleaner environment than in US since they don't take long to raise. Their cage are automatic wash more than 3 times a day and their poop still lots of undigested grains ( like chicken poop) and therefore can't be use for fertilizer properly yet , that's why the idea of fish farming under had created. The fish farms like these get their own oxygen wheel to keep ammonia low and oxygen high. The farms are in the open area field full of other grain plants grow to help converting all the waste. The plants are grains that also being produce for animal food. Full cycle farming and lower cost. This type of farming are big not just in china but through out Asia area that have enough land to provide. Fishes in the wild consume their food the similar way cause animal comes to drink water in the wild then poop, all fish ate it then poop, all plants surrounding ate the fish poop and the cycle goes on.

I only posted the info I did for people's information, in case they did not know the dangers.
We all need to take responsibility to do our own research and make our own decisions.

Enough has been said on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back