Should I tell my employers I have fibro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

URMySunshine

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
Nebraska
I was diagnosed with fibro in March and put on meds that basically kept it under control until recently. I've been to my doctor and had the med's dosage increased, but I don't have it yet, so I'm still feeling pretty awful. My question for all of you is this:

I got a job in July, when I was feeling okay. It's a work-from-home deal, so I don't have to meet anyone face to face. Since my meds stopped helping, my productivity has slowed down a lot, since I spend so much time just trying to function at all with school and other obligations. I don't want to quit my job, because I love it, but I'm afraid the amount of work I've actually been able to do is going to get me in trouble. So far I haven't had anything said to me about it because I've been able to sit down and just power through a bunch of work if I work straight for several hours when I'm feeling semi-okay, but there can be two or three days in a row where I don't get anything done at all. Should I tell my employers I have fibro, and what's going on?

This is a tough one. I sadly live in a country where if I were to disclose any illness, they'd likely fire me and I would have no right to fight back (yeah, lovely protective humane laws).

So I don't know how attitudes are over where you live. It also depends on how much it affects your work. Like, can you really not make the deadlines? Or because it is a work-from-home job, can you work any time you can (incl. nights and weekends) which maybe will allow you to listen to your body real well? If the work load is really too much, can you take on less without suggesting there is a health-related cause behind it? My thinking is, and it is sad one, yet a sad realistic one, is that most people do not get fibro. They don't get the pain and the fatigue, also because some days/hours we are fine, and some days/hours we are very sick. It makes no sense to them (as if it makes sense to us!).

So if I were you, I'd really look into options of taking on less work, or longer deadlines without revealing you have fibro. The job makes you happy and you are able to do it real well, so make that the highlight of the conversation you have with your employer.

I have to agree with Vickythecat.I would adjust my workload,use a well thought up reason.My experience of being completely honest with my employer,sealed my fate,after 13 years of being a loyal and hardworking employee.Fibro is especially a problem diagnosis,everyone will run for the door and your union included.You will be out of a job and will feel humiliated.Oh,and one more thing,it will follow you around.You need a cv to get a job.If you can't use it as a reference and other places,employment will be challenging!

i agree sad as it is...i would reduce the hours saying something like you have found you have more school or family commitments you cant ignore...even if its slight exaggeration or maybe you can think of something more plausible.

or you could hang in their until your new dosage arrives and see if that helps you be more productive....i would say though your health takes priority and long term your body will thank you not to push it too hard and maybe have massive crash as a consequence down the line.

I wouldnt mention fibro at his stage...it should be understood and accepted as a legitimate illness but sadly its still caries stigma and disbelief.

I agree with all the comments below too. I lost my biggest job working with attorneys because of them being " considered " of my condition and my state of mind. So much so it was a layout with lots of get well cards.

My employer was absolutely wonderful and very understanding. My doctor has restricted to me lifting no more than 5 pounds. I have had to cut my hours from 40 to 24 recently but even that is posing to be quite difficult. I work 1 day then I'm in pain for 1-2 days. My daughter and my husband share the task of driving me as most days it's really unsafe for me to do so. My doctor put length of disability as lifetime and my employer had no issues with it.

My employer was absolutely wonderful and very understanding. My doctor has restricted to me lifting no more than 5 pounds. I have had to cut my hours from 40 to 24 recently but even that is posing to be quite difficult. I work 1 day then I'm in pain for 1-2 days. My daughter and my husband share the task of driving me as most days it's really unsafe for me to do so. My doctor put length of disability as lifetime and my employer had no issues with it.

Wow Jeanne you are the luckiest person I know . What a wonderful employer you have! :razz:. I'm so glad to hear there are some great human being out there in this very harsh world. Don't ever quit that job ever!

What a lovely family supporting you too :) Priceless

Very lucky all the way with disability too . I'm so jealous !!!:twisted: lol just kidding it's nice to hear possitive side living with fibro :mrgreen:

I finally told my employer after about a year and a half because I had to take two months off for hysterectomy and my flare ups have been more frequent (about once or twice a month). I am experiencing a flare up now that started with a migraine Saturday and by Tuesday morning (middle of the night) the migraine subsided and the “electric shock” pains woke me out of my sleep. My employer suggested intermittent FMLA because they know what I’m going through now since I decided to just be honest about my health issues. I work really hard when I’m able to but I’m not sure how much longer I can do it. I’m facing another knee surgery which I’ll know for sure on Thursday and I’ve been a ball of stress. Trying to take one day at a time because I know god is only gonna give me as much as I can bear. It’s scary though because if I have to resign I don’t know how I’m gonna make it finally, especially being a single mother. Everyone has a different case as far as their employer and disclosing personal health issues but I’m at the point where I have to start putting my health first. With some jobs you’re only as good as the last thing you did for them so you can never be sure. I say go with your instinct and trust in yourself.
Sorry if I ran on but I’m all over the place in excruciating pain!

Wishing all of you well and soft hugs!!!🤗

You are so sweet missv . I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back