Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2012
Country
US
State
PA
Hi everyone. I'm a little shy and it has taken me two years since my diagnosis to join this or any forum. I hope I can help someone by sharing information, but I want to start with a big complaint. In this "information age" why is it so hard to search for a doctor specializing in fibromyalgia? Any search results I get has general information about finding a doctor, but no real tools to actually find one. I don't know about you, but I can't afford the money or time to go see a bunch of doctors only to find they really aren't suited to treating me.

Even hospital websites are awful. Try putting "fibromyalgia" in the hospital website search and see what you find - usually nothing, or some articles..., but almost never a doctor. I think there are two things going on. 1) People don't know how to make a website and healthcare is stuck in 1995 in terms of the web. 2) There are actually very few doctors who specialize in it and/or they may be reluctant to "advertise" (I am convinced many rheumatologists are reluctant to take this on and feel it is being dumped on them).

Okay, enough ranting. How can we help each other find the best care givers? I live in Philadelphia with gigantic teaching hospitals all over the place and it is hard for me. Does anyone know of a good way to search for doctors truly interested in and experienced in fibromyalgia?

No, not here. I only met my doctor because I was an a University hospital and she is on staff as a doctor and professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back