Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/1998
Country
UK
State
devon
i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 14 years ago, and have been treated for thi eversince,i have recently moved in june 2013 and my new dr says i dont have fibro at all and did a blood test to see if i had anything else to cause the pain i get. my results came back clear, and he has told me that the tests have also told that i do NOT have fibromyalgia, i have checked the internet and it states that a blood test will not tell if you have fibro or not,please help can a blood test tell if you have it or not?

No from what I know there is not a test for Fibromyalgia. Maybe you should ask to see a Rheumotologist they specialize in that field.

No, there is no test that can determine whether or not you have fibromyalgia. And unfortunately, that is one of the reasons that it gets such a bad rap, with people thinking that it is some kind of psychosomatic condition that you can control. This happens a lot with any kind of disease, illness or affliction that doesn't have a tangible way to observe it. Just because a person is a doctor, doesn't mean that they are infallible. FMS is still a relatively new diagnosis, and not all doctors are well educated on it. So my advice to you would be to seek a second opinion. Or third, or even a fourth. Try to find someone who specializes in this kind of condition, or at least a doctor who listens to you and who you get along with. You don't have to stick with one doctor. Shop around.

I would switch doctor's, there is currently no blood test to confirm or deny that someone has Fibromyalgia. They typically do the 18 point check to determine if you might be suffering from it, but even then, it's not a definitive diagnosis. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to research Fibromyalgia on your own and I guarantee that you will be able to help your symptoms much more than most doctors can. They still don't know enough about it's cause and many doctors do not even believe that it exists because they don't have scientific data to back it anything scientific up. There are many ways to treat Fibromyalgia and if tends to vary a little bit for each individual. The three things that you can do that might help you are to get plenty of sleep, eat really well, and make sure that you get exercise and move your body in some way everyday. Those three approaches have helped my symptoms out tremendously!

Even Rheumotologist's don't understand the condition like they should. I go to mine every 6 months and I keep hoping that he will have some new information on Fibromyalgia, but most of the time, I end up telling him about new things that might work. He really doesn't do anything except listen to me and than try and prescribe pharmaceuticals.

While it is true that there is no specific blood test for fibromyalgia, there are some indicators that can point a doctor to the diagnosis of the condition. One that I know about is called the ANA test for Antinuclear Antibodies. When the ANAs are high, it's an indication of abnormal production of antibodies. This is usually linked to a variety of autoimmune diseases. Some doctors have used this test to confirm the diagnosis of fibromyalgia when at least 11 of the 18 points of sensitivity are also present.

Hope this information helps you!

the ANA antibody screening does not test for fibromyalgia. It is, however, a test that is used to rule out other diseases such as lupus. A diagnosis of fibro is generally a diagnosis when a person has widespread pain for greater than three months, fatigue, cognition problems, and other symptoms. Docs will run a number of blood tests to rule out lyme, rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune and muscular issues. There is the tender point test which notes 18 points on your body that are exquisitely tender on folks with fibro. Eleven of 18 is the cutoff. Other docs are also using a functional assessment test. Along with the resource material on this site, there are a number of national groups researching fibro. Since it has been lumped in with rheumatalogical diseases, you can also check the Arthritis Foundation. Latest research points to a "hiccup" in the way our brains process pain or a central sensitivity syndrome. The mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, And Universities of Michigan and Oregon are also doing work on fibro. It is real.

many thanks to you all ror your replys, they have been very helpful

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and polymyalgia by my rhuematologist. She just added Lyrica on top of the Cymbalta that my GP prescribed. Definaitely get a second opinion and try to see a rheumatologist.

I don't think there is a blood test that will show you whether you have it or not. You have to talk about your symptoms with your doctor and then they will make a decision that they feel is the right one for you, but you have to remember that your doctor doesn't always know you completely, and might therefore not be able to tell if you do definitely have it or not. It might help for you to have a second opinion, as it seems to me that you need to get the right help put in place, and the only way you're going to be able to do that is if you get a diagnosis for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back