Status
Not open for further replies.
normal cannabis with heavy use definitely will have a negative effect on mental issues, I've seen it happen. But that's high level THC type cannabis, I have no idea how extremely low THC cannabis with high CBD will affect mental health.

I'm still having small amounts when needed and still swear by it. its not legal here either, hope that will change in the future.

Hi Timc. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on 'negative effect on mental issues' you have seen with heavy 'normal' (?) cannabis use ? I ask this, not to be a jerk, but because in thirty plus years of use, research and experimenting with cross breeding etc. I have yet to personally experience such problems,, nor has anyone I know. Being a mod/admin on one of the largest
cannabis forums for years now, not one single comment, observation or scientific study bears this out.

One of the many Pro's cannabis has on it's side is how it does NO harm. i am not aware of any other drug, natural or not, that can state the same.

CBD, aka cannabidiol, is the second most abundant chemical the plant produces, THC being (usually) the most. Studies have proven (yes, I can provide references on request) that by itself, THC can treat a wide range of diseases, and more recent research work is showing that CBD PLUS THC work much better together than separately. Cannabidiol is non-hallucinogenic, ie. no buzz, no high.

One of my favourite cannabis facts is the comparitive number of death's due to alcohol, tobacco, fire arms, car accidents and cannabis. Spoiler alert: Cannabis = 0.

I recently started looking into this, I've seen you can get an oral one and it also comes in a rub or lotion. I'm looking for reputable places to get it from and am trying to find out if it effects drug testing? I currently am in pain management and they do random drug screening, even with the CBD oil I would likely continue with some form of pain management for a time (until I saw marked improvement). I wouldn't want it to show up on a screening.

Wow....I can't believe the US allows random drug testing on it's citizens!!! :(

MelCat, are they testing for cannabis, or specifically CBD ? I'd be more than surprised to hear it's the latter, as the cannabis test procedures I am aware of all target THC, as CBD is 100% non-hallucinogenic.

That being said, if you are prescribed cannabis by your doc, would they still have grounds to randomly test you ? Just curious...

i wish it was legal in the UK..i have no idea about the terms you use CBD THC its like a chemistry lesson to me!

LOL i have picked up a lot from this website but in the UK all Ive heard of is the stuff kids smoke or bake cookies with and have no idea about how you use it for medicinal purposes. Anyway its not an option..i would probably be the one person who ends up in prison for trying it!

Plus tell me if I am wrong but i thought cannabis could bring on mental health issues and anxiety..i have enough of that already living with this disease! and its impact on each day.

Hey Willow. Cannabis does NOT impact on any mental health issues, save one known exception: teenage brains still growing may be adversely affected by smoking pot, so it's generally not a good idea for kids to toke on a regular basis.

If anyone has a scientific paper or study that says otherwise, please post a link. (I've been asking this question for years....still not a single response.

In my experience the vast majority of strains are nearly useless in fibro symptomatic relief. This is mainly due to economics - growers get more money for high THC (the chem that causes the high) varieties, so over the decades since the early 70's, breeders have weeded out (pardon the pun) plants that have anything but tons of THC! CBD and it's role in medical uses of cannabis is relatively a new discovery, but has gained popularity so fast that many big seed companies are racing to produce plants that have at least a 1:1 ratio of the two cannabinoids.

There is also a huge push in the production of THC-free, CBD-rich strains such as Charlotte's Web. I recommend anyone interested in learning more about this stuff Google 'Dr Gupta, weed documentary" and watch all three programs.

The big question for we fibro-peeps is what is the idea ratio of THC:CBD to treat neurological pain ? This is where I am currently focussing my studies, trying to determine if more CBD is better than a mix of CBD/THC. The plants I've produced are close to 1:1, so I now need to find and try a plant with trace to no THC, then compare their effectiveness.

I hope this clears this up a little. It IS confusing, even with a heavy science background !

DB

I admire your knowledge on this subject..i had no idea cannabis had so many strains or names or different levels of chemical components.

My thoughts on 'weed' causing mental health issues is just 'what Ive heard' probably picked up from TV or newspapers or maybe when my son was teenage and i knew a couple of his friends smoked weed and one something we call skunk that i know seemed to give this friends mental health and anxiety problems...which was so sad as this boy went from confident outgoing boy to not well and reclusive for several years.

I am very naive in this area and my main concern was making sure that my son didn't get tempted by his peers activities and go down the same route ..i am lucky that he didnt ever try.

So no i dont have any evidence and anyway this was all years ago and i now know skunk is a strong form of weed and i am guessing from what i have learnt here probably a high THC content?

I think cannabis pain relieving qualities need thorough investigating and that you are doing a great job at this!!!..LOL cant you join forces with a pharmaceutical company to produce your plants on a commercial basis for all of us fibro sufferers and persuade our governments to allow it!! :)

May i ask are there any down sides or noticeable side affects from the cbd oil and how do you use/take it for pain? Is it a long lasting affect or do you need to take it through out the day at regular intervals?

Sorry I am so naive on this subject! Also does it treat all types of pain?..i have bad burning pain among many types.

Last edited:
May i ask are there any down sides or bad side affects from the cbd oil and how do you use it for pain? Is it a long lasting affect or do you need to take it through out the day at regular intervals?

I can't comment on bad side effects because I haven't had any, but CBD oil does not seem to do much for my menopause symptoms.

I use extract in olive oil. It's doesn't taste that good, but it's only for a couple of minutes. It has taken me a while to work out the best dose for myself. The product I am currently using suggests taking 1 dropper (1mL) 2 times a day (1mL = 20 drops or 25mg of hemp extract), I take 8 drops at night along with chamomile tea and a valerian cap. CBD oil does not help me sleep, it just reduces muscle pain so I don't wake up every time I move. The CBD oil effects last about 5-6 hours. If I take it during the day I take 5 drops before breaking fast. That's enough to make muscle spasms and achiness tolerable until bedtime. I also try to take it on an empty stomach. Everybody is different. Your mileage may vary.

Gosh if it so helpful for pain i can't believe its not being liscenced for it here..especially as so many fibro meds have terrible side affects and addictive properties.

I think the word cannabis conjures totally the wrong idea..gives it like a scary feel when infact it seems to be so much better than opiates, horrible anti depressants and for example the awful stories of some people who try lyrica and the myriad of side affects they get.

We do have a spray form of MMJ in UK but i think its only allowed for MS patients...yet so many of us me included are stuck at home in often a worse level of pain than some MS sufferers yet we still get treated like what we have is much less important or severe.

Thanks for this thread and all the info its very interesting if not frustrating as i cant see anything changing soon.

Hello Db,

I lived in a share house for 5-6 years with a group of friends who heavily used Cannabis every hour of the day. Over that period it was extremely apparent that they developed similar significant erratic mood changes. They were having stupidly large quantities, I'm confidant that the small amount I'm having won't have the same end result in the long term.

Obviously i'm all for it but like anything moderation is still the key. and if its not being smoked then I think its a safer option then any painkillers available.

Wow....I can't believe the US allows random drug testing on it's citizens!!! :(

MelCat, are they testing for cannabis, or specifically CBD ? I'd be more than surprised to hear it's the latter, as the cannabis test procedures I am aware of all target THC, as CBD is 100% non-hallucinogenic.

That being said, if you are prescribed cannabis by your doc, would they still have grounds to randomly test you ? Just curious...

I don't know what they're testing for tbh, never asked. I don't currently have a script for it. I wouldn't really seek one if it's for CBD. Where I live it's only been in the past year that pot became available for medical purposes.

Sorry I kinda ghosted. As for testing, it is not supposed to show up on a standard drugs test. YMMV, obv.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admire your knowledge on this subject..i had no idea cannabis had so many strains or names or different levels of chemical components.

Nothing whatsoever to admire Willow, but thank you all the same for your kind words. Cannabis is a messy subject in general, as so much misinformation has propagated over the decades, due primarily to the unfortunate stance the US government has taken on this plant: very little serious research was being done (in North America) until other countries led the way with groundbreaking proof that it is NOT dangerous, but more importantly, it can heal and save lives. With the recent legalization sweeping the US and Canada (yeah!!) there is now a veritable flood of new papers each month (research projects by many nations and private companies. I would hazard a guess that the millions of pounds to be made might have something to do with this.

Ok, rant over. Just FYI, there are over 400 chemical compounds in cannabis, (~600 in tobacco) of which about a dozen are being studied for medical reasons. As for strains, the names mean less than nothing. There are no rules or regs for this, which is why there are such colourful strains as Purple Urkle, White Widow, God Bud, Nun Buster, Chocolate Chunk and Bubblegum! Before buying any strain do a little reading to see what the THC:CBD ratio and contents are, and whether the plant is an Indica, Sativa or a hybrid - a cross of these two major species. Generally speaking Indicas tend to produce a body stone, aka couch lock, where your body feels floaty, or heavy, very relaxed feeling. Sativas are much more of a mind -f***, it makes senses explode, making music sound better, food is to die for, time seems to be 'off', that sort of thing. CBD can be found in either, but I would think most good CBD strains are either Indicas or Indica dominant hybrids. Still with me ? :)

My thoughts on 'weed' causing mental health issues is just 'what Ive heard' probably picked up from TV or newspapers or maybe when my son was teenage and i knew a couple of his friends smoked weed and one something we call skunk that i know seemed to give this friends mental health and anxiety problems...which was so sad as this boy went from confident outgoing boy to not well and reclusive for several years.
I am very naive in this area and my main concern was making sure that my son didn't get tempted by his peers activities and go down the same route ..i am lucky that he didnt ever try.

Smoking strong weed on a heavy, regular basis is never a good idea. Too much of anything is generally unheathy, but you need to keep something in mind: I would rather my kids smoke marijuana than cigarettes, MDMA, etc. or start drinking. There have been many anecdotal reports of people being hooked on weed (which is physically impossible, btw), as well as anxiety and mental issue complaints. The trouble with these is they are just talk - no scientific proof that these events are actually happening.

So no i dont have any evidence and anyway this was all years ago and i now know skunk is a strong form of weed and i am guessing from what i have learnt here probably a high THC content?
[\QUOTE]

I too have been told that most of the cannabis in the UK is Skunk, or at least called Skunk, as the word itself has become sort of a byword for 'strong shit'. Skunk IS a seperate and popular strain over here as well, but it's only one of thousands. Most of the stuff grown since the 50's was induced to produce a maximum amount of THC, ignoring any other cannabinoids, including Cannabidiol (CBD), which is why there are not that many CBD gems out there... that is changing, but it takes time.

I think cannabis pain relieving qualities need thorough investigating and that you are doing a great job at this!!!..LOL cant you join forces with a pharmaceutical company to produce your plants on a commercial basis for all of us fibro sufferers and persuade our governments to allow it!! :)

May i ask are there any down sides or noticeable side affects from the cbd oil and how do you use/take it for pain? Is it a long lasting affect or do you need to take it through out the day at regular intervals?

Sorry I am so naive on this subject! Also does it treat all types of pain?..i have bad burning pain among many types.

Well, I doubt 10 Downing would be too welcoming to a pot-eating old fart from the Dominion to tell them how to run their drug policies. BTW, Are your conservatives as bad as ours ?!!??

The only side effects I have gone through are the munchies, getting a little light headed, and occasionally getting a slight buzz (high) which dissipates over time (how much time depends on a LOT of variables!). Otoh, I can write up a lengthy list of obsenities I put up with when taking Opiates.

Hmmm, there is something that may need clarifying: CBD oil is just that, Cannabidiol and only CBD in an oil emulsion (cannabinoids are oil soluble). It is processed in a way that most of all of the THC is removed or reduced in potency, which is why children who suffer from seizures can safely ingest a few drops without getting high. It's only down side is the cost: $$$$$

What I do is far simpler: grow my strains, dry the buds, simmer them in coconut oil, etc. etc.so what I end up with is CBD:THC:CBV:CBA.... in other words, it includes THC which is the compound which gets you high. It has been shown clinically that for some health issues, possibly including fibro, THC AND CBD together are far more effective in pain control than CBD alone. This is where I am now in my own research.

In my experience cannabis does NOT help with all pain, it does a wonderful job on neuropathic pain, but far less so with so-called regular pain. If anyone has had relief from other types of pain please let me know!

I hope I am not coming across as some sort of hippie joint-chewing know-it-all :shock:
S'truth is, I'm a retired lab geek who discovered the miracle that is medical cannabis and like some sort of pot evangelist, I feel the need to share what I believe is just that: a miracle plant. I am not against recreational use...would be a hypocrite and liar if I said I was! Nothing wrong with geting a little pleasure with our meds,hell, we certainly have earned a break! When I finally found real pain reduction it felt winning the lottery :D.

Ok, this has gone on awaaaaay toolong.
G'night

I want to share my story here as well.

My sis got me some CBD oil (2,75%) from a reputable store overseas and I had been using it consciously for 2 weeks. I was doing 3 drops, 2-3 times a day. Nothing was happening.

Yesterday morning, on an empty stomach I was taking my usual dose of 3 drops, when the bottle almost fell out of my hand, and there was quite a lot of oil on the rim and the outside of the bottle. I did not want to waste it (hello, it is so expensive!), so I put all of that oil on my gums/under my tongue did the usual wait of 90 seconds and went on with day.

5 hours later, I am in the kitchen preparing 3 different dishes, my mom came in and was surprised to see me, she goes 'wow, you are having a great day, aren't you? First you cleaned the house, now you are cooking...' And I was like 'yeah, I am having a good day, aren't i?'. It was then that I remembered taking the larger dose of the CBD oil, I had completely forgotten about it!!!! So it couldn't have been placebo effect. It was that larger dose (probably 12-15 drops on an empty stomach)

And yes, if it was the CBD and probably a combination of a 'good fibro' day, then.... wow, wow, wow......

I just took 8 drops and keeping my fingers crossed. Yesterday was a great day and that gives me hope again.

While I am the most straight laced anti drugs use person..but i can see there is evidence it can help pain..and no i dont see our government doing anything soon..probably not in my life time, but if there are ways any plant extract can be adapted and safely help pain this needs proper research.

I think seeing discussions on here has opened my eyes and while i know i wont be taking CBD oil Im pleased for anyone who is getting relief, happy in their decision as to what helps and making the most of their life.

Last edited:
While I am the most straight laced anti drugs use person..but i can see there is evidence it can help pain...

I used to be like this too. I went to university in Holland, so everyone around me seemed to be smoking weed to get high. And my roommates as well, and they were lazy and disgusting as hell. So my image of marijuana was that it makes people lazy and nasty. But I did however see that it was better than alcohol. Drunk people are the worst, if you ask me.

But getting high or not is a personal choice, and the more you read about it and open your mind to its use, the more you see what an amazing plant it is.

I tried smoking a joint when I visited Holland, but I could not even inhale the hot smoke, so failed at that. Then I tried a space cake - and I have to admit the high was very pleasant. I was laughing for hours, being giddy and most importantly very very relaxed. I completely forgot all of my aches, pains, bad memories, problems etc. I would be very careful about doing it again (especially because the effects comes hours later), but I will definitely try it as a gift to myself.

I notice that several suggestions have been made to grow your own but I think it is not really that easy to do. Requires space and knowledge and equipment. And, if it is illegal where you live, then there's that. Usually growing it is a greater fine than just having some. Here, if you have a MMJ card you can grow some small amount but it is only one plant or something, I am not sure. Plus, getting an MMJ card costs about $300 just to get one and over $100 a year to renew.

Plus, like some others here, I am seen at a "pain clinic" that does random drug testing. You can't be seen there if you refuse the testing. And my regular doctor, of whom I am not very fond, will not prescribe the pain killers on an on-going basis, which is why she sent me to the "pain clinic".

I don't know if CBD oil would show up on the drug screen or not. If it did I would be seriously up the creek. But, of course, I have no idea where to get CBD oil anyway, because while many websites sell it how do I know that I am getting what I am paying a whole lot of money for? It could be olive oil - a scam - and I would not know.

I want to try MMJ. The doctor at the "pain clinic" even says he thinks it would help me. But if I spend all that money and get the card and start doing it, he will stop prescribing the Tramadol. Rules of the "pain clinic". Then, if the MMJ doesn't work, I would have to wait probably two months, according to this doctor, in order for my drug test to come out clean again, before he would prescribe the Tramadol again. So I could, if the MMJ did not work, be without anything whatever for the pain for that amount of time or longer.

It is not all that easy to make the decision, as much as I want to try it.
Maybe I should just move to colorado. :) I probably would, actually, if it were that easy.

Doobie Brother, thanks a lot for taking the time to write so much info for us here. I find it very useful. I just wish I could use the product!!

I got the giggles reading your post Vicky...imagining you laughing and giddy and all your pain vanishing in a haze...i dont know why it tickled me...i think i'm stuck indoors so much my imagination is becoming extra vivid!

It's just you sound like me.... very traditional and with strong moral compass about all sorts and i have visions of us now later in life being little rebels...the years of pain turning us into the naughty teenagers we never were ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back