I feel like weight gain from FM is ruining my life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleFoxLamb

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
Nebraska
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to FM. I'm 33 and was diagnosed in April after a 6-month long Epstein Barr virus infection. I gained more than 30 pounds in that time. I am now taking Plaquenil and Elavil for the pain, and phentermine to help me lose weight. My pain is improving and I have more energy, though I'm guessing that's a result of the phentermine. I am ashamed to say this, but the weight gain bothers me more than the pain. I have a long history of severe body dysmorphic disorder, and the loss of the body I've worked so hard to accept is making me feel hopeless. I've lost some weight with the phentermine, and I exercise and eat well, but it's been a struggle. I can't deal with the fact I don't look the same anymore. I'm devastated. Is this a lost cause, or does anyone have any tips for getting my body back? Thanks so much.

Welcome , nearly everyone here has gained weight with fibro.because we can workout like we used to.
Learning to come to terms with that is very hard, I to miss the body I had.
But the pain has got a lot worse for me and now I am just grateful to walk clean my house and look after my family.
Have u tired swimming .?some meds will pack on the pounds to so maybe read up on the ones your on. Being that you have BDD.nothing we say will give u must comfort ,
Try to injoy the fact u can still workout and do the things u can.keep mobile with this illness it really helps to stop the stiffness.
And I'm sure someone will help u better then I lol.its early am for me and brain not quite awake yet xx

Side effect of elavil is weight gain. I stop using that because sleep sleep sleep all the time.

Hi there. I gained weight with fibro due to taking Cymbalta and was frustrated. However, having something take away part of the pain was worth it. I have had to figure out a gentler exercise routine to stay fit if not firm. I have also changed my diet so I am eating less carbs and more fruits, veggies and whole grains. Cut out sugar as well. I have lost 5 of the 15 pounds and hope to continue as my body "resets" itself. It's hard when you are used to being really fit and active and can't maintain that pace anymore. It's been two years since I was finally diagnosed and I'm more okay about it than I was before.

Hi there. I gained weight with fibro due to taking Cymbalta and was frustrated. However, having something take away part of the pain was worth it. I have had to figure out a gentler exercise routine to stay fit if not firm. I have also changed my diet so I am eating less carbs and more fruits, veggies and whole grains. Cut out sugar as well. I have lost 5 of the 15 pounds and hope to continue as my body "resets" itself. It's hard when you are used to being really fit and active and can't maintain that pace anymore. It's been two years since I was finally diagnosed and I'm more okay about it than I was before.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. It helps to know I'm not alone, and I'm motivated to make whatever changes I need to make this more tolerable (physically and psychologically). I really appreciate your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back