Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
pa
Has anyone on here file for disability? I did,I also have anxiety attacks pretty much regularly depression meds aren't helping so I assume they think they are I have costrocondritis linked to anxiety and fibro and PTSD. I got denied saying evedince proves I can stand and sit and walk..... The information is coming from my drs which obviously I walking the office and sit in the waiting room and the exam room and yes I stand at the check out desk. I have to but the days I have drs appointments I am pretty much useless after.and they say my PTSD is severe bit not by their rules! I hired a lawyer! Has anyone else get denied and then approved at the hearing? I'm unsure how something can be severe but not to their standards

Did u ask them according to "what" rules that would be.?

I would really love to know all the info they got because I know my psychiatrist gave me funny looks when I said that I was going for disability because medical bills are piles high.I'm not sure how they go about that but I really think they do it to a lot of random people to see if the fight it or forget it to weed out the ones who don't need it.but seriously according to Dr records they should be able to figure that out. PTSD is very serious no matter what happened or how long it was going on to bring it on. I didn't even know there was a level of severity on that. And my fibro just like everyone else we have our bad days and then worse days but when you need to see ur Dr u obviously have to do some walking sitting and standing but a rhuem will tell you to exercise low impact so suddenly that would make me not qualify? I can even do that stuff.I've been in a flare for going on three weeks and now I have to walk into a laweys office and see if they can help n see if they can get the records the Ssd already had that they based their decision on.

Broken,
I applied online without a lawyer the first time. I'd say to anyone - GET A LAWYER FIRST. I was denied and then I got a lawyer but I was late on appealing the decision so it makes it even more difficult to win. My lawyer is trying to get me in front of a judge. He says that's my best chance. So, he appealed to have the case reopened (?) and reapplied. Of course I was denied again right away. Now, we try to get in front of a judge. My lawyer requested a copy of my medical file and is going to go through it himself. lol Its thick and will take him awhile. But I am thankful for all of his effort. I took pictures of all the different swellings I had and the dr asked if I would put those in the medical file too. I need to get them printed off today so my lawyer can have them.
Anyway, that's what my experience is with applying for disability.
Remember to get a contingency lawyer that specializes in Disability Law. If they don't win the case for you, you don't have to pay. If they do win, they get ... 25%? I forget. It may be different in another state. I live in Michigan.

Best of luck. Let us know how things go.

I applied and got denied twice. Now I have a lawyer but be prepared to wait a long time. I first applied in May of 2014 and don't expect to go before a judge until June 2016. So as you can see the process could take two years or longer. It's tough waiting but that's the way the game is played. Good luck to you.

Hi,

I plan on applying sometime within the next 6 months. First I plan on establishing a relationship with a dr. knowledgable in fibro. From what i've read, SSDI and SSI judges want to know that a patient shows up for appointments and tries recommended medication and treatments. Since I'm newly diagnosed and haven't found a dr or tried treatments yet, I plan to wait a bit.

I'm looking up advice online and from what I read, it's best to hire a lawyer before starting the process. The lawyer can help retrieve documents, help fill out paperwork. I know it sounds like it should be easy enough, but claiming you can do housework will get a person denied. A lawyer can help you phrase things appropriately, for example going into detail about how limited your abilities are in terms of cooking, cleaning, yardwork, etc.. Sounds like sometimes the judges will deny people for ridiculous reasons, which is why I plan on hiring a lawyer. Even then, a think some people are denied the first and 2nd time they apply.

It all sounds like a such a hassle but worth it in the end

Needfibrorelief,
That sounds like a great plan! You are smart to research and get a lawyer.

I did that, I have hired an attorney right out of the gate. I have enough work credits so I need to concentrate on the level of disabling pain and other issues. I have been diagnosed with Fibro, polymyalgia, RLS, hydrocephalus, chronic headaches, hypertension, hypothyroidism, edema, GERD, and obstructive sleep apnea. I do have anxiety issues but that is not in my records. The problem I have is now that the records are electronic they are not as thorough as the old written ones. I'm praying that getting an attorney helps speed the process, especially since Fibro has a diagnosis code now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back